Welcome to the Yahoo Gemini API Product Bulletin. This update includes a quick snapshot of recent and upcoming releases and is focused on features supported by the API. A summary of supported functionality is also included.
Product Bulletins are updated on a monthly cadence for Gemini API partners, account managers and developers.
Tune into the March Product Bulletin podcast for the latest on Gemini API features, changes and product enhancements released this month by the Gemini product development team.
Gemini API Webinar Recording¶
Be sure to check out the March 21st Gemini API Webinar Recording (25 min. 39 sec), hosted by the Gemini Solutions Engineering team. The Webinar provides you with an up-to-date Gemini roadmap, along with detailed slides and discussions of Gemini products currently in the pipeline. Gemini partners, developers and account managers should tune into the selected topics discussed in the webinar.
Part 1 Topics
- Key Themes: starts at 1:00
- Search Roadmap: 3:04
- Native Roadmap: 5:00
Part 2 Topics
- Carousel Ads
- Video Ads
- Sponsored Mail Ads
- Upgraded URLs
- DPA Setup Overview
- Reporting Best Practices
Feedback Form For Webinar¶
Your comments and feedback are important for Gemini Product Development and the Solutions Engineering teams. Please take a moment and complete the feedback form below. Thank you!
eCPC: Enhanced CPC for Native¶
- Enhanced CPC bidding strategy now supported in Native Visit Web campaigns. eCPC boosts Native Ad bids +/- 30% per impression, to optimize for conversions. It is currently supported at the Ad Group level. Note: New Native campaigns created in the Gemini UI are automatically opted-in. For more details, see Ad Group Fields. For UI documentation, see What’s New in the Gemini Advertiser Guide.
New Structured Snippet Extension Stats Cube¶
- New Structured Snippet Extension Cube has stats for all levels down to the ad level. Use this for getting metrics on Structured snippet extension performance. This cube only contains search performance data that resulted from a Structured Snippet Extension impression. Note that the cube does not include any over-delivery spend adjustments which are available in the adjustment_stats cube. For more details, see API documentation in Cubes and Dimensions.
Upgraded URLs Supported Objects¶
- Check the Upgraded URLs Migration Timeline for the current timeline. Note: dates have been moved back 6 months to allow more time for migration.
- For the v3 Gemini API, Upgraded URL (UU) attributes are now supported for the Ad Group, Campaign and Advertiser object types. For details, see the Upgraded URLs Attributes sections in Ad Groups, Campaigns and Advertisers. Also see the supported UU attributes per object type table.
- As a reminder, we provide support for all upgrade and downgrade scenarios for Upgraded URLs. For more information on Upgraded URLs in v3, see Upgraded URLs documentation for details and a summary of expected behaviors.
- Reminder: We’ve added a new guide with detailed steps on the migration path that you need to follow to upgrade supported entities to Upgraded URLs (UUs). For more details, see Migration Path For Upgraded URLs. For more details on Upgraded URLs, refer to Upgraded URLs - New in v3.
[UI] User Personalized Ads¶
- UI support introduced for new User Personalized Ads, to serve personalized native ads to consumers based on geo locations (ads feature a user’s specific city, state or country). Early results show a compelling lift for User Personalized Ads over non-personalized image ads. For more details, see What’s New in the Gemini Advertiser Guide.
[UI] New Key Performance Indicator Bar (KPI Bar)¶
- UI support introduced for new enhanced Key Performance Indicator bar (KPI bar) in the Gemini UI. The KPI bar lets you view and customize charting data and key performance metrics for your campaigns, ads, ad groups and keywords. Advertisers are able to see hourly data for their campaigns, ads and ad groups, so that they can do day-parting bid optimization for enhanced campaign performance. For more details, see What’s New and check out how it works in Gemini Reporting & Key Metrics.
[UI] New Mobile Performance Metrics Introduced¶
- New mobile performance metrics are now available in the Gemini UI. These are available in the Campaigns Tab in-line data grid. Use these metrics when you wish to better clarify and understand more precisely what is being reported in your campaigns. See What’s New for more details of how it works.
Reminder: Dynamic Product Ads (DPA) Resources¶
- As a reminder, Dynamic Product Ads (DPA) became available in the Gemini API in May 2017. DPA are feed-based ads that can be shown on a native Gemini platform. Use DPAs as retargeting ads from your product feed that scale to promote your products to users who have visited your product websites. To get started, see Dynamic Product Ads for integration steps, product feed operations, creation of product sets and Dot Tag Instrumentation. For additional guidance, see the FAQs.
- Also, Dynamic Products Ads became available in the Gemini UI in December 2017. Check out the new Dynamic Product Ads video and overview in the Gemini Advertiser Guide for quickstart on how you can take advantage of Dynamic Product Ads in Gemini.
Reminder: Gemini v3 API Roadmap¶
- To stay current on the latest version of the Gemini API, check out details of the Gemini v3 API Roadmap. Taking advantage of the Gemini v3 API is straightforward and easy to navigate.
Reminder: Glossary of Gemini Terms¶
Reminder: Updated Postman to v3 Endpoint¶
- Updated the Postman collection to the v3 endpoint for all Gemini API calls. Using Postman, you can test and verify the calls you make in the Gemini API. See Postman API Toolkit.
Reminder: Guide: How To Utilize Dot Pixel & Conversion Rules¶
- Step-by-step guide available on how to effectively utilize dot pixel and conversion rules, based on your particular needs and setup, i.e., whether your advertiser account contains either a single website or multiple websites. The API workflow described in this document involves, essentially, no more than five basic steps to set up your Dot Pixel tags and Conversion Rules.
Reminder: Bulk Downloads Performance¶
If you have a large account and notice your bulk downloads are taking longer over time, please consider deleting dormant or orphaned objects (Campaigns, Keywords, Ads, Ad Groups). See the Gemini Guide for more details on Bulk operations.
Reminder: Migration to Gemini v2 API or v3 API - Action May Be Required¶
Please be aware that starting on September 1, 2017, the Gemini v1 API was relegated to End of Life (EOL) status; the Gemini v3 API was released on July 25, 2017. The Gemini v2 API is still supported post-release. Official deprecation for the v2 API has not yet occurred. Partners and developers will be notified once this has been officially determined, and a schedule provided. Please note that new features will not be added to v1, and v1 will not be supported. For details on the v3 release schedule, as well as dates for the v1 deprecation, see the Release Schedule and Gemini API Versioning.
Action may be required: Gemini API users may choose to migrate to either v2 API or v3 API.
To migrate to v2 API:
- Please visit the v1 deprecation note.
- Note: Action may be required to migrate from the Deprecated v1 Reporting Endpoint.
To migrate to v3 API:
- Users are encouraged to migrate to the new Gemini v3 API directly. v3 is backward compatible with v2, and users may continue using the current landing/display URL structure on v3 without Upgraded URLs migration for the time being. The new Gemini v3 API has been released as of July 25, 2017. This release provides partners and developers with multiple new features and capabilities. For details, see Versioning.
Gemini Native Ads Specs and Resources¶
- Native ads combine various brand assets to produce rich, compelling ad experiences and display them alongside content, providing interaction and engagement superior to traditional display advertising. See Gemini Native Ads for details on native ads, including key benefits, where native ads appear, and detailed information about various Yahoo Gemini native ad types.
Gemini API Video Tutorials¶
- In this series of introductory videos, the Gemini Development Team will walk you through some of the basic steps you’ll need to follow before you first begin making API calls and leveraging the Gemini platform for programmatic ad buying.
- Get Started with Programmatic Gemini API - Episode 1
- Working with RESTful Objects in Programmatic Gemini API - Episode 2
- How to set up your Sandbox Environment in the Programmatic Gemini API - Episode 3
Getting Started Guide: OAuth 2.0 Authentication Steps¶
- New, detailed explanation of steps to follow before you begin OAuth 2.0 authentication. If you’re new to the Gemini API, you should read the section and follow the steps listed. Note also in the section on OAuth refresh tokens that access tokens will expire after 60 minutes.
Check Out What’s New¶
Using the Gemini Sandbox Environment¶
- The Gemini API lets you work with a sandbox environment to test campaigns you’ve created and managed. You use the same consumer key and consumer secret you obtained when you set up your OAuth to access the sandbox.
- The Gemini sandbox serves as a modified version of the production environment. While all operations are designed to function the same in the sandbox as in the production environment, the campaigns and ads you create in this environment do not actually serve. The sandbox environment is completely separate from your production environment.
- All campaigns, ads, and keywords you create in the sandbox are available in the sandbox environment only. There is no possibility that the ads you create in the sandbox will be accidentally served. Nor will your production accounts be charged for any mock transactions in the sandbox environment.
- You will need to create a sandbox account in order to test in this environment. You can do this by making a POST call to the sandbox signup endpoint and passing in the name you wish to call your test advertiser. The response will be a test advertiser object that will only be available in the sandbox environment. For more details, see Testing - Sandbox.
- Be sure to check out the video tutorial describing How to set up your Sandbox Environment in the Programmatic Gemini API - Episode 3.
Required Fields by Ad Type Matrix¶
- A matrix is available which details the required fields when serving different ad types. For more information, see Ad documentation > Matrix view of required fields.