Suggestion to create same communityplatform as YUI

Why don't you setup a same platform just like YUI?

Because you find mostly YUI-programmers to work with Mojito, you give them a familiar environment right away. The api is much better then this one, the forum is great and used much more intensively and so on...

Besides, because Yahoo! owns it, you should be able to roll it up pretty quick.
I know Mojito is new and has a way to go, but this might be a big step forwards. At least it is for developers like me who want to master Mojito.

Kind Regards,
Marco

3 Replies
  • Marco:

You have an excellent point there: the 2 communities do overlap, a lot; the community "platform" should as well. We haven't done so yet, because it is not trivial today. The YUI forum, bugtracker, etc. were hand-sewn, are are maintained by, the YUI team.

Note that we *are* moving towards aligning Mojito and YUI further -- e.g. the Mojito client-side with the YUI App Fwk. I expect the community software will catch up eventually.

For the time being, if you were to post a Mojito question in the YUI forum, it would be quickly routed to us, so no worries. We sit in the next row over from those guys. ;)

Hang in there Marco, we hear you!

--Ren
  • Hey Ren,

Thanks, thats good to know.
    You say 'not trivial' and I'm sure there are more important thinks. However, you should realize that -at least for me- the current setup is quite difficult to master. YUI3 has a structured module platform which is easy to dive into. The Mojito landingpage is a bunch of documentation and examples. It tries to explain everything, but I really need to search through all the docs and examples before I get my mojitosite running. And even then, there some aspects that are not mentioned in the documentation yet.

For me it seems to be really cool if there were a gallery, were we could upload our own custom Mojits, ready to use by everyone. In such a situation, the Mojito-project would benefit a lot. But at the moment: the way to get there isn't easy and there is no gallery yet.

Meantime Mojito-questoisn in the YUI3-forum you say... Hmmm.
    Sounds to me a bit of spoiling the YUI3-forum. Because I run into a lot of questions...I'll ask in that forum what is the right way. Perhaps Dav is willing to define a separate Mojito-group.

Thanks for your response.

Regards,
    Marco.

QUOTE(Ren @ 5 Oct 2012 4:46 PM)
    Marco:

You have an excellent point there: the 2 communities do overlap, a lot; the community "platform" should as well. We haven't done so yet, because it is not trivial today. The YUI forum, bugtracker, etc. were hand-sewn, are are maintained by, the YUI team.

Note that we *are* moving towards aligning Mojito and YUI further -- e.g. the Mojito client-side with the YUI App Fwk. I expect the community software will catch up eventually.

For the time being, if you were to post a Mojito question in the YUI forum, it would be quickly routed to us, so no worries. We sit in the next row over from those guys. ;)

Hang in there Marco, we hear you!

--Ren
  • Marco:

The gallery is an excellent suggestion, you're right! This is definitely something we've been thinking about, and we've made a few steps in that direction. Unfortunately core issues (e.g performance), more critical than such a gallery, have pulled us back into the framework for now.

While you are correct the YUI forum is the best place for YUI issues, not Mojito ones, I don't think you're going to get shot down for asking. Again, the 2 projects are pretty close.

And of course, if there are specific documenation issues we should address, do let us know by filing a ticket!
    https://github.com/yahoo/mojito/issues

Thanks for using Mojito!

--Ren

Recent Posts

in Yahoo! Mojito