Check Yahoo Mail with IMAP and Oauth

Good morning,

I manage to connect to Yahoo mail using pure IMAP (user/pass) but I would like to know if it's possible to check Yahoo mails with IMAP and Oauth (like Gmail allows). I I read some threads and is not clear to me if I can.

Anyone knows?

Thanks in advance!

by
12 Replies
  • By the way, I need to get the full raw mail messages from my inbox.

Thanks!
  • Hi, nobody will answer You because nobody from even Yahoo is looking here. I wrote in last week post and they had deleted it. This is crap support.
  • What a pitty, I don't know where to ask then.

Thanks anyway Szymon!!!
  • Nicolas,

Can you explain what you are trying to do in more detail?  I am not sure if you are merely trying to retrieve your email via an email client or if you are wanting to work the Mail API.  Thanks,
  • Hi duzins.

I'm trying to download raw mails including attachments with a ruby service through plain IMAP (or mail API if i can't) with oauth authentication. Is important to note I need the raw mails for custom processing.

For example with gmail, I can download raw mails trough IMAP and Oauth authentication like this.
    imap = Net::IMAP.new('imap.gmail.com', 993, usessl = true, certs = nil, verify = false)

imap.authenticate('XOAUTH', MAIL_ADDRESS',  :consumer_key => 'CONSUMER_KEY', 
    :consumer_secret => 'CONSUMER_KEY', :token => 'TOKEN', :token_secret => 'TOKEN_SECRET'
    )

messages_count = imap.status('INBOX', ['MESSAGES'])['MESSAGES']
    puts "Seeing #{messages_count} messages in INBOX"

But this type of IMAP authentication is custom to gmail, and I don't know if apply to yahoo service (if yahoo IMAP provide Oauth support).

Of course I could check mails with common IMAP with  user/pass like this and it works.
    conn = Net::IMAP.new('imap.gmail.com', 993, true, nil, false)

conn.login("MAIL_ADDRESS", "MAIL_PASSWORD")

messages_count = conn.status('INBOX', ['MESSAGES'])['MESSAGES']
    But as I say, I need to use Oauth.

If yahoo IMAP doesn't provide this type of authentication I would use mail service API, but I don't found a way to download full raw mails with attachments.

Thanks in advance!
  • By the way, this is the right code for connecting to common yahoo imap (user/pass)
    conn = Net::IMAP.new('imap.mail.yahoo.com', 143, false)
    conn.authenticate('LOGIN', "MAIL_ADDRESS", "MAIL_PASSWORD" )
    messages_count = conn.status('INBOX', ['MESSAGES'])['MESSAGES']

• Hi,

I had exactly the same question than Nicolas : yes Yahoo! implements OAUTH, yes Yahoo! implements a web services/REST API to access mailboxes, but does Yahoo! implement a SASL mechanism to be used with OAUTH in order to integrate OAUTH in IMAP & SMTP ?

So, I tried to connect to the IMAP/SSL server at Yahoo! and tried a command like "C01 AUTHENTICATE OAUTH [...RANDOM_CREDENTIALS...]" : I have had an error message about the credentials, not about an incorrect command name ! That means that IMAP servers at Yahoo are OAUTH capable (even if it is not included in the capability string answered by the IMAP servers).

So, the question is now : what sort of variant of IMAP/SASL + OAUTH have you implemented at Yahoo!, guys ?
    You could have implemented XOAUTH : OAUTH1.0 + SASL, or one of the many draft RFCs about AUTH2.0 + SASL, so please explain and give us the URL string needed to be signed in order to convert an OAUTH access token and a Yahoo! email / login to the credential string in "AUTHENTICATE OAUTH" commands.

In order to implement a client, we need to know those details. Today, with the current documentation, we are obliged to make requests though your Web Services / REST mail API... Please, be open.

Many many thanks,
  • Hi Alexandre. Thanks for your feedback.

I didn't do that test and is good to know that there is some kind of oauth support. But well, we should wait for the documentation to appear!

By now, I was force to use web services calls, and as I need the raw mails I had to make them from scratch with different calls to ListFolders, GetMessageHader, DownloadAttachment, etc. All of that could have been voided if the IMAP documentation had been available hehe

• We don't support IMAP over OAUTH. You need to use our Webservice APIs. Thanks.

• Are there plans to support OAUTH for IMAP?

• Now even Outlook support OAuth for IMAP http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-outlook/archive/2013/09/12/outlook-com-now-with-imap.aspx. Gmail has been already supporting this for a while. When does yahoo plans to support OAuth over IMAP?

• Any update on this? Forcing a user to put their email/password rather than clicking one button to use Oauth is a significant barrier to entry for a lot of users. We are looking to bring Yahoo mail support to our app

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/seer-reminders/id721450216?ls=1&mt=8

However exchange is going to be next on the list until Yahoo allows utilizing Imap via Oauth.

Recent Posts

in Yahoo! Mail Web Services API