OAuth POP3 Support

Hi
I am doing a college project I am building mail client for yahoo pop3 mailsusing java mail API .I integrated Oauth i.e i am able to get the access token ,
is yahoo suppporting oauth for retrieving mails through javamail API if yes can some one please guide me how it is done

Thanks and Regtards
Rakesh John Kurian

by
5 Replies
  • Hi Rakesh,

Can you brief us more on what app are you planning to do? We have web service api's which you can use to build any web service clients. I don't understand when you say building a pop3 client using webservice api's. If you mean to get email after OAuth authorization then yes you can.

We can guide you on your app once you are done with the following and let us know what you plan to do.

1. Run through the API's in this link http://developer.yahoo.com/mail/docs/user_guide/index.html
    You can use all of these api's to build your client. (Desktop webapp or Browser based app)

2. Once you are done with the APIs you can checkout the samples we have and also see how to use different api's.

3. For more information on how to use OAuth refer http://developer.yahoo.com/oauth/guide/

Happy Coding.

--R

QUOTE (Rakesh @ Jun 9 2010, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi
    I am doing a college project I am building mail client for yahoo pop3 mailsusing java mail API .I integrated Oauth i.e i am able to get the access token ,
    is yahoo suppporting oauth for retrieving mails through javamail API if yes can some one please guide me how it is done

Thanks and Regtards
    Rakesh John Kurian
  • hi
    thanks for the reply
    what i meant is i am developing a desktop client(like Outlook :)--R
  • QUOTE (Rakesh @ Jun 10 2010, 04:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    hi
    thanks for the reply
    what i meant is i am developing a desktop client(like Outlook :)) and retrieving mails using pop3 protocol i am able to retrieve mails using normal userId and password but with oauth i am not able to and i am not using the json or soap i am retrieving mails using javamail API (store.connect()) sorry i dont know the technical jargons
  • Hi Rakesh,

If you check how OAuth functions, its ideal for developers who want to develop apps for end users using service provider api's. Now having said that you can build an app using OAuth for authentication for both desktop client and webclient. OAuth is just a way to authenticate an end user and getting his authorization so that your app can access the end user's data and show it to him.

OAuth over POP protocol is not something I have heard of but should be a good project to work on. There are specs for OAuth over IMAP though. Thanks

--Ram

QUOTE (Rakesh @ Jun 10 2010, 04:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    hi
    thanks for the reply
    what i meant is i am developing a desktop client(like Outlook :)) and retrieving mails using pop3 protocol i am able to retrieve mails using normal userId and password but with oauth i am not able to
  • Ram, Where are the specs for Oauth over IMAP, everywhere on the forum that I can find says you do not support Oauth over IMAP. Seems a waste of time to utilize your custom Mail Web Service api just to get oauth access to email.

http://developer.yahoo.com/mail/

Google at least added extensions to the javamail API to support imap via oauth.

-Joe

• Recent Posts

in Yahoo! Mail Web Services API