How to uniquely identify an email?

Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to uniquely identify an email? I notice that the message id field seems to return different value for the same email at least on several occasions when I look at it. For example, I would get 1_114428_AGEIw0MAAXzUTPXZPQThpQHeqQs and 1_111051_AGEIw0MAAXzUTPXZPQThpQHeqQs for the same message on different days. However, I do notice that the last part (behind the last underscore) is the same. Are there meaning to the different parts to the message id or is it a coincident that they happened to be the same.

Regards,

Chinh

by
3 Replies
  • I ran into the same problem - anybody has any ideas? As Chinh asked too - can we assume the message ID string after the 2nd underscore is guaranteed to be unique among all messages (even if only within that folder) and will not change over time for a given message? As of now, I have no documented way of identifying a message uniquely. FYI, I need this capability to do an incremental download of messages such that in a given download iteration I don't want to process messages I've already seen and processed in a previous iteration. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

This capability exists in other mail protocols like IMAP and POP3, so it's a little strange and unexpected that the Yahoo mail API doesn't appear to support it.

thanks,
    Rajesh

QUOTE (Chinh @ 26 Sep 2011 5:24 PM) Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to uniquely identify an email? I notice that the message id field seems to return different value for the same email at least on several occasions when I look at it. For example, I would get 1_114428_AGEIw0MAAXzUTPXZPQThpQHeqQs and 1_111051_AGEIw0MAAXzUTPXZPQThpQHeqQs for the same message on different days. However, I do notice that the last part (behind the last underscore) is the same. Are there meaning to the different parts to the message id or is it a coincident that they happened to be the same.

Regards,

Chinh
  • Hi Rajesh,

I think I'm about to give up on this forum (I have another post that hasn't been answered for months).

So far what I have noticed is that if I retrieve the message id back once a day, the last segment stays the same but the first segment will change. Also I have seen ids with more than 3 segments (i.e  1_114428_123412323_AGEIw0MAAXzUTPXZPQThpQHeqQs)

I'm almost convince that the last segment IS the UID. :) Don't know if you noticed that also. If not, I hope that helps....

Regards,

Chinh
  • Hi Chinh,
    In the limited testing I've done, I too noticed that the string after the last underscore stays constant for a given message (though I've never yet seen an ID with 3 underscores).

I'm very hesitant to make such a major assumption without at least some confirmation from Yahoo, so I'm still hoping that we'll see some "official" response.

Rajesh

Recent Posts

in Yahoo! Mail Web Services API