About installing php

I would like to give developing mailapplications a try, but I have a few issues. I hope someone can help.

I don't have PHP installed on my computer and the link that yahoo provides on the quick start page of mail application, directs me to the install page of php, but php says I need to have a webserver first. So, which is it? In all earnest, I think it would be cool if yahoo developed on top of the yahoo mail development tool, their own yahoo suited php installer for the ymdt. make things as easy for development as possible.

The quick start guide says a developer doesn't need a webserver, but I know enough about php to know you should have a webserver when you install it. I want to know if any other developer has installed php without a webserver and how has it been developing for mail applications?

by
1 Reply
  • QUOTE (Houyhnhnm @ Jan 31 2011, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I would like to give developing mailapplications a try, but I have a few issues. I hope someone can help.

I don't have PHP installed on my computer and the link that yahoo provides on the quick start page of mail application, directs me to the install page of php, but php says I need to have a webserver first. So, which is it? In all earnest, I think it would be cool if yahoo developed on top of the yahoo mail development tool, their own yahoo suited php installer for the ymdt. make things as easy for development as possible.

The quick start guide says a developer doesn't need a webserver, but I know enough about php to know you should have a webserver when you install it. I want to know if any other developer has installed php without a webserver and how has it been developing for mail applications?

ymdt definitely doesn't need a webserver -- it's just a command-line tool. The version of php that ships with macs these days works fine for me. I also used the php 5.3 installer on windows and it worked fine (I think you can choose to omit the webserver. curl and openssl extensions are required, which I think are installed by default).
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in Yahoo! Mail Application Platform