yahoo.finance.quotes data very inaccurate

Hi,

this happened to me twice over the past few weeks.

e.g  Last night, the closing for Mineral Mountain, MMV.V was shown to be 0.62 cents when the actual close was at 0.55.  The yahoo page for the quote showed the close price of 0.55

Also,  on Saturday, August 6th, I grabbed the PreviousClose for about 50 quotes and it did not give me the Close price for July 29th instead of August 5th

I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed errors in the service or there were any errors...maybe the YQL team can clarify?

This service is free and awesome, I'd hate to have to move on to a paid service.

by
16 Replies
  • I have had the same problem. It is primarily with previous close. It changes about every 10 - 15 request.<br><br><div class="quote"><div class="quotetop">QUOTE<cite>(Dimmer Summer @ 12 Aug 2011 10:37 AM)</cite></div><blockquote class="quotemain">Hi,<br><br>this happened to me twice over the past few weeks.<br><br>e.g&nbsp; Last night, the closing for Mineral Mountain, MMV.V was shown to be 0.62 cents when the actual close was at 0.55.&nbsp; The yahoo page for the quote showed the close price of 0.55<br><br>Also,&nbsp; on Saturday, August 6th, I grabbed the PreviousClose for about 50 quotes and it did not give me the Close price for July 29th instead of August 5th<br><br>I&#39;m just wondering if anyone else has noticed errors in the service or there were any errors...maybe the YQL team can clarify?<br><br>This service is free and awesome, I&#39;d hate to have to move on to a paid service.</blockquote></div>
  • Umm, I think it&#39;s more than that.&nbsp; I had erroneous data for the LastTradePriceOnly, open and PreviousClose.<br><br>Corect data: <br>Open: 0.60<br>LastTradePriceOnly: 0.55<span style="font-family:monospace;"><br></span>PreviousClose: 0.55<br><br>Here&#39;s the data YQL returned:<span style="font-family:monospace;"><br></span><span style=""></span>LastTradePriceOnly <span style=""></span>=&gt; 0.62<span style="font-family:monospace;"><br></span>Open: 0.56<br>PreviousClose: 0.59<br><br><div class="quote"><div class="quotetop">QUOTE<cite>(David Arena @ 12 Aug 2011 12:10 PM)</cite></div><blockquote class="quotemain">I have had the same problem. It is primarily with previous close. It changes about every 10 - 15 request.<br><br><div class="quote"><div class="quotetop">QUOTE<cite>(Dimmer Summer @ 12 Aug 2011 10:37 AM)</cite></div><blockquote class="quotemain">Hi,<br><br>this happened to me twice over the past few weeks.<br><br>e.g&nbsp; Last night, the closing for Mineral Mountain, MMV.V was shown to be 0.62 cents when the actual close was at 0.55.&nbsp; The yahoo page for the quote showed the close price of 0.55<br><br>Also,&nbsp; on Saturday, August 6th, I grabbed the PreviousClose for about 50 quotes and it did not give me the Close price for July 29th instead of August 5th<br><br>I&#39;m just wondering if anyone else has noticed errors in the service or there were any errors...maybe the YQL team can clarify?<br><br>This service is free and awesome, I&#39;d hate to have to move on to a paid service.</blockquote></div></blockquote></div>
  • I&#39;ve had it for multiple quotes btw
  • Here&#39;s what I noticed:<br><br>Every YQL call, the price fluctuates.&nbsp; about 5-6 times out of 10, it will grab the right prices and the wrong prices at other times.<br><br>I dont know if it makes any difference, but I am grabbing 100 quotes at once.<br><br>Can anyone from the YQL team shed some light on this issue.<br><br>thanks
  • Dimmer,<br>We say the exact same thing. It seems like possibly one server&#39;s data is stuck on the close prices from August 2nd, 2011. I think it just depends on which server in the data farm returns the data.<br><br><br><div class="quote "><div class="quotetop ">QUOTE<cite>(Dimmer Summer @ 12 Aug 2011 2:11 PM)</cite><blockquote class="quotemain">Here&#39;s what I noticed:<br><br>Every YQL call, the price fluctuates.&nbsp; about 5-6 times out of 10, it will grab the right prices and the wrong prices at other times.<br><br>I dont know if it makes any difference, but I am grabbing 100 quotes at once.<br><br>Can anyone from the YQL team shed some light on this issue.<br><br>thanks</blockquote></div></div>
  • I am obviously seeing this too. &nbsp;Does anybody think this is related to the recent issue where stock quotes were returning&nbsp;<span style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;line-height:14px;font-size:small;">505544000.00 for all values at about the same rate as these Aug 2 values are showing?&nbsp;</span>
  • Any resolution for this?&nbsp; I&#39;d hate to have to modify my code to check that the returned data isn&#39;t a duplicate of Aug 2...<br><br><br><div class="quote"><div class="quotetop">QUOTE<cite>(Troy Penn Peterson @ 12 Aug 2011 8:54 PM)</cite></div><blockquote class="quotemain">I am obviously seeing this too. &nbsp;Does anybody think this is related to the recent issue where stock quotes were returning&nbsp;<span style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;line-height:14px;font-size:small;">505544000.00 for all values at about the same rate as these Aug 2 values are showing?&nbsp;</span></blockquote></div>
  • I&#39;m seeing the same problem, too, but not just for prices.&nbsp; August 2nd data for market cap, pe, pb, ps... many of them.<br><br>I find that refreshing a few times updates the data set, but this is a pretty terrible way of solving a problem.<br><br>Anyone have a more sound solution yet?<br><br><div class="quote"><div class="quotetop">QUOTE<cite>(Jimmie @ 13 Aug 2011 6:32 PM)</cite></div><blockquote class="quotemain">Any resolution for this?&nbsp; I&#39;d hate to have to modify my code to check that the returned data isn&#39;t a duplicate of Aug 2...<br><br><br><div class="quote"><div class="quotetop">QUOTE<cite>(Troy Penn Peterson @ 12 Aug 2011 8:54 PM)</cite></div><blockquote class="quotemain">I am obviously seeing this too. &nbsp;Does anybody think this is related to the recent issue where stock quotes were returning&nbsp;<span style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;line-height:14px;font-size:small;">505544000.00 for all values at about the same rate as these Aug 2 values are showing?&nbsp;</span></blockquote></div></blockquote></div>
  • I&#39;m having the same issue, I have to refresh, to get pull valid data.
  • Sadly, I have moved from the YQL free service to a paid service.&nbsp; The quotes are very important for my app.
  • I am looking at prices for crude futures and they are all wrong. &nbsp; I was thinking this would be a nice service to use, and I am totally shocked at the quality of this data.&nbsp;<br><br>Yahoo needs to either discontinue their service or fix it, because it is a complete&nbsp;embarrassment. &nbsp;Who did you switch to, I would be interested to know.<br><br><div class="quote "><div class="quotetop ">QUOTE<cite>(Dimmer Summer @ 17 Aug 2011 10:58 AM)</cite><blockquote class="quotemain">Sadly, I have moved from the YQL free service to a paid service.&nbsp; The quotes are very important for my app.</blockquote></div></div>
  • any follow ups on this? &nbsp;What good paid services are there?
  • Dimmer, I&#39;m trying to pull real-time stock data. What app and service has worked for you?<br><br><div class="quote"><div class="quotetop">QUOTE<cite>(Dimmer Summer @ 17 Aug 2011 10:58 AM)</cite></div><blockquote class="quotemain">Sadly, I have moved from the YQL free service to a paid service.&nbsp; The quotes are very important for my app.</blockquote></div>
    • Aug 30, 2011
    I&#39;ve had similar issues with yahoo etf quotes whether I use YQL or download a csv. &nbsp;I&#39;ve also found that, for a big data set, the occasional day will get dropped. For example, pulling historical data for SPY and IWM for the exact same date range will result in a different total number of records. &nbsp;<br><br>Aside from inaccuracies in the data, the yahoo finance tables are frequently unavailable with the message &quot;<span style="line-height:16px;color:#333333;font-weight:bold;">No definition found for Table yahoo.finance.quotes&quot; </span><span style="line-height:16px;color:#333333;">displayed</span><span style="line-height:16px;color:#333333;font-weight:bold;">.<br></span><br>Can anyone at Yahoo shed some light on these issues? &nbsp;It&#39;s a great service in theory but seems to be increasingly unreliable...<br><br><br><div class="quote "><div class="quotetop ">QUOTE<cite>(Brad @ 20 Aug 2011 3:45 PM)</cite><blockquote class="quotemain">I am looking at prices for crude futures and they are all wrong. &nbsp; I was thinking this would be a nice service to use, and I am totally shocked at the quality of this data.&nbsp;<br><br>Yahoo needs to either discontinue their service or fix it, because it is a complete&nbsp;embarrassment. &nbsp;Who did you switch to, I would be interested to know.<br><br><div class="quote "><div class="quotetop ">QUOTE<cite>(Dimmer Summer @ 17 Aug 2011 10:58 AM)</cite><blockquote class="quotemain">Sadly, I have moved from the YQL free service to a paid service.&nbsp; The quotes are very important for my app.</blockquote></div></div></blockquote></div></div>
  • <br>similar issues happened<br><div class="quote"><div class="quotetop"><br><em style="font-size:10px;font-family:Courier New;color:#b9b9b9;"><span style="font-size:10px;font-family:Courier New;color:#b9b9b9;">QUOTE</span><cite>( @ 30 Aug 2011 1:40 PM)</cite></em></div><blockquote style="font-family:yui-tmp;" class="quotemain"><em style="font-size:10px;font-family:Courier New;color:#b9b9b9;">I&#39;ve had similar issues with yahoo etf quotes whether I use YQL or download a csv. &nbsp;I&#39;ve also found that, for a big data set, the occasional day will get dropped. For example, pulling historical data for SPY and IWM for the exact same date range will result in a different total number of records. &nbsp;<br><br>Aside from inaccuracies in the data, the yahoo finance tables are frequently unavailable with the message &quot;<span style="font-size:10px;font-family:Courier New;color:#b9b9b9;">No definition found for Table yahoo.finance.quotes&quot;&nbsp; </span><span style="font-size:10px;font-family:Courier New;color:#b9b9b9;"><a href="http://www.trendbisnis.net/2011/08/tablet-android-honeycomb-terbaik-murah.html">Tablet Android Honeycomb Terbaik Murah</a> displayed</span><span style="font-size:10px;font-family:Courier New;color:#b9b9b9;">.<br></span><br>Can anyone at Yahoo shed some light on these issues? &nbsp;It&#39;s a great service in theory but seems to be increasingly unreliable...<br><br><br></em><div class="quote"><div class="quotetop"><em style="font-size:10px;font-family:Courier New;color:#b9b9b9;">QUOTE<cite>(Brad @ 20 Aug 2011 3:45 PM)</cite></em><blockquote class="quotemain"><em style="font-size:10px;font-family:Courier New;color:#b9b9b9;">I am looking at prices for crude futures and they are all wrong. &nbsp; I was thinking this would be a nice service to use, and I am totally shocked at the quality of this data.&nbsp;<br><br>Yahoo needs to either discontinue their service or fix it, because it is a complete&nbsp;embarrassment. &nbsp;Who did you switch to, I would be interested to know.<br><br></em><div class="quote"><div class="quotetop"><em style="font-size:10px;font-family:Courier New;color:#b9b9b9;">QUOTE<cite>(Dimmer Summer @ 17 Aug 2011 10:58 AM)</cite></em><blockquote class="quotemain"><em style="font-size:10px;font-family:Courier New;color:#b9b9b9;">Sadly, I have moved from the YQL free service to a paid service.&nbsp; The quotes are very important for my app.</em></blockquote></div></div></blockquote></div></div></blockquote></div>
  • Moral of the story is Yahoo information is unreliable. ie November 16 DJI closing shows as 57. That is way off. You do something either right or don't do it. When I go to "My Portfolios" selection is greyed out. You can only view PF#1. It is not unusual to see an out of date DJI number pop up every now and then. It is obvious that the whole site is being run by a number of incompetents and no one cares, no one apologizes for errors. That is the way it is. Take it or leave it!!!

Recent Posts

in YQL