Where is 'New Zealand' in geo.countries

When I execute the YQL:

select * from geo.countries where place = 'Australia'

Where is 'New Zealand'? Which Continent Should I put to return 'New Zealand'?

Regards
Ricardo

by
3 Replies
  • select * from geo.countries where place='asia pacific'

QUOTE (Ricardo @ Mar 9 2011, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    When I execute the YQL:

select * from geo.countries where place = 'Australia'

Where is 'New Zealand'? Which Continent Should I put to return 'New Zealand'?

Regards
    Ricardo
  • Thank you very much... just one more question...

How Did you find out it? Because when I request all continent (select * from geo.continents) I get the return:

Africa
    Asia
    North America
    South America
    Europe
    Antarctic
    Australia

How can you see 'asia pacific' if it is not in continents list? How can I get all continent correctly?

Regards
    Ricardo Goncalves
  • QUOTE (Ricardo @ Mar 9 2011, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thank you very much... just one more question...

How Did you find out it? Because when I request all continent (select * from geo.continents) I get the return:

Africa
    Asia
    North America
    South America
    Europe
    Antarctic
    Australia

How can you see 'asia pacific' if it is not in continents list? How can I get all continent correctly?

Regards
    Ricardo Goncalves

geo.countries also supports colloquial area names that cover multiple countries (also called supernames). While New Zealand is not considered part of any continent, it is considered part of several supernames such as Australasia, Oceania, and Asia Pacific. All the island nations in the Pacific Ocean (plus Australia) are children of Oceania, which is probably a better place to use with geo.countries. You could include Oceania in your list of continents.

You can also get a list of supernames using the following YQL request:

select *select woeid, placeTypeName, name from geo.places.children(0) where parent_woeid = 1 and placetype = "Supername"

Eddie Babcock
    Yahoo! Geo Technologies

Recent Posts

in YQL