Schemas (XSD), Standarization etc. - I'm pissed

Dear guys...

I'm totally happy and felt very welcome to see, that a big company like yahoo is interested in "getting things (and data) clean, structured and queryable" but why don't you do it in a right way?

After collecting some schemas from documentation and other sources ("http://query.yahooapis.com/v1/schema/table.xsd", "http://www.yahooapis.com/v1/base.rng" etc.) I noticed, that you not only used relaxNG (which is very dirty to consume/transform) nor just USE the standards you define...

All elements BEFORE the "<results>"-elements are well defined and should be in a namespace which results in a validatable and maschine-readable format...
Okay, we are smart enough to write our own schema and put a namespace on top of the first element in an answer from the service but then I noticed something different:

1. the element "lang" is not exported in the namespace "yahooapis.com/v1/base.rng" but referenced in every resultset?! [it's just xml:lang!!!]
2. all the beautful attributeGroups in "base.rng" are totally not useable, because of their 'use="required"' setting - the service only answers with the "yahoo:count" and "yahoo:created" attributes, ignoring: "startAttribute", "totalAttribute" etc...

Come on...
This YQL-Thingy is so SMART, so COOL, why don't you provide a good XML implementation to consume it? (ORM)
Would be nice to create WSDL or WADL out of the service to use well-built and proven tools to consume the services...

In my opinion, it's the wrong way - you can't "unify the web" without "providing standards"...

Would be nice to hear what others and properly yahoo think about that...
I'm a fan of STRUCTURED data and not a bunch of braces...

Greetings,
Robin

by
2 Replies
  • P.S.
    It's not clear written XML if it will just work with JAXB or $YOUR SERVICE GENERATOR$...
  • Hi robin,

i also miss a WADL and WSDL description of the Yahoo weather services. Could you obtain or create a WADL or WSDL for this? If yes can you please share this information?

Best regards

Recent Posts

in YQL