High rate of Timeout on YQL queries since yesterday ?

Hi,

My users have been complaining that they no longer can access their yahoo data from my app

in my logs, I see a very high rate of Timeout exceptions when invoking simple yql queries
It started around noon PST on Wednesday

has anybody else noticed such errors ?

22 Replies
  • I have many timeouts as well.
    Usually if I'm doing an update the content is posted correctly, but the request timeouts before I get the response.
  • Are you still seeing this problem?
  • QUOTE (Erik @ Oct 22 2010, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Are you still seeing this problem?

yes, today, timeouts happen for 50% of the YQL queries in my app...
  • Any chance you are hitting the rate limits? Is the error, 999?

Robyn
  • QUOTE (duzins @ Oct 22 2010, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Any chance you are hitting the rate limits? Is the error, 999?

Robyn

I don't get any error message (just Timeout exception)
    but I doubt it has to do with rate limits. My traffic is down from last month and the same queries succeeds after a couple retries...

Wednesday at noon PST is when it all started
    this does not give you any clue ?
  • timeouts are still high this morning
    about 40% of the YQL queries in my app...

they're also random.
    When I retry the same query 2 seconds after it fails, it often works...

what could it be ?
  • QUOTE (Pickemfirst Dev @ Oct 25 2010, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    timeouts are still high this morning
    about 40% of the YQL queries in my app...

they're also random.
    When I retry the same query 2 seconds after it fails, it often works...

what could it be ?

The YQL Engines do adhere to the rate limits described on the main page. Bursty traffic can result in 999 errors. Since the overall public ratelimit is 1000/hr, per minute you should be easily be able to make 16 requests. If its anything greater than 16, then the ratelimiter can get kicked in. I'd recommend spreading out the load across time.

example:
    The spikes/bursts in traffic have been removed such that given 1000 requests/hour, you cannot make 999 requests in the 1st 1/2 hour and then wait for another 1/2 hour for the next burst in traffic.

Hope that helps.
    Nagesh
  • My app makes less than 100 YQL requests per hour, so I don't think I'm hitting any rate limit.
    plus my traffic was double in September, and I never got any Timeout exception.

what else could it be ?
  • My app has executed 30 YQL queries in the past 20 minutes
    and every single one of them failed with a Timeout exception.

It was working fine for months.
    then these exception started to appear last Wednesday.

what should I do ?
  • QUOTE (Pickemfirst Dev @ Oct 26 2010, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    My app has executed 30 YQL queries in the past 20 minutes
    and every single one of them failed with a Timeout exception.

It was working fine for months.
    then these exception started to appear last Wednesday.

what should I do ?

can you share the query and the ip from which you're making the requests?

-- Nagesh
  • here are the only 3 type of queries that I execute
    select * from fantasysports.teams.roster where league_key='242.l.637629'
    select * from fantasysports.teams where use_login=1 and game_key=248
    select * from fantasysports.leagues where use_login=1 and game_key=248

I'm not sure how to find the IP address as my app runs from the cloud....
  • here's a typical request that fails with timeout
    CODE
    http://query.yahooapis.com/v1/yql?q=select%20%2A%20from%20fantasysports.teams.roster%20where%20league_key%3D%27242.l.51047%27&format=xml&env=http%3A%2F%2Fdatatables.org%2Falltables.env&oauth_token=A%3DCTuBb27Y51qyYpodJXlLOw1E8Vj29AJhW5NYD79.PII7xNuUVEL4ujc1CON9Tr4VyOB1V9QNHVcNql
    WPL9e.XiyFKQo8FlY3grLA9v.maXKBIH96AKXNnmnlxjvoAW_9_LO3zh93_L09iVpu5Y6nivbyJQMwvQ9
    kp2h.gTEvLNOnGf5O4lC2ndI8umz0S7NmkAdsOQmMgLnPvxsgW4d1SvtzofxllatqKD3vFhOqUWbxSN71
    A2kPr0XAA6WdGO65kvRyMq_mEi9Ef7tFPEMe2kJrN92sSzCXXK74eUJ_nKkFQXg29DFsHNtYDGqF266EK
    MYPNe21ptayp_Q3h0fdaOizMZ_DYa3o6b4rzt8GngYzeRkebRGYGU_H2Lq0WbDV55agjfUCpGGKKNyThw
    Yumegt2kaFEk9TyAW6wGh_cQQFtnHg2x9z22wTZGNFtAP4WKtnwsd8M.KfpshksZJKJl3RzJQjKVICVDv
    iGiNjrtXyywie8t21v2wSpu9b2xV.H1_Ey_Iej9DYx4vFZgNy7iyBnroeUAFOErSoMfbEBTyxfc_WPqDE
    Us3EDg_iSbibAI2jhaDY70RgOQP_IqoqLbdlRx7oMP9p5eqI6ovYpO7i7WYUu1ctD1cgsWYW7DOHBJ1Y_
    7DKTBjkArmlKAPYXdE.tyQVWuMvXURxFjtezGPt0zs42dMZuF0rMvYHWrATPThZpF427zUexMowRwI3_V
    xuTxbb0LPY6srBC276pSM3bH_7p9uh6gbFwHshWYrGAmAKwcEs5f7Bbvwf5A--&oauth_consumer_key=dj0yJmk9WjdNaWFKYU5RZTY4JmQ9WVdrOU9HODVNekJSTnpnbWNHbzlNV
    FF5TWpJM016WTJNZy0tJnM9Y29uc3VtZXJzZWNyZXQmeD0xYw--&oauth_signature_method=HMAC-SHA1&oauth_timestamp=1288191824&oauth_nonce=1439428742340060&oauth_version=1.0&oauth_signature=Usd0nkZ6IM5c0EVCP0Q%2FvuLB2%2Fc%3D

the same request launched 5 seconds later succeeds in ~ 20% of the cases
    if I retry 5 or 6 times in a row, it ends up working in 80% of the times

I'm using a java oauth library called simpleyql
  • i have a similiar problem. my YQL php script takes really long to complete. on my home testing server it takes ages and on my live webspace the script times out and my website is not displayed any more because the whole wordpress process hangs.

here is my script that i use to fetch my videos and pic from vimeo and flickr:

CODEBOX
    /* Vimeo */
    $YQLquery = 'select video.id, video.url, video.title, video.description, video.width, video.height, video.thumbnail_small, video.thumbnail_large, video.thumbnail_medium, video.tags from vimeo.user.videos where username="user1282871";';

/* Flickr search by user id */
    $YQLquery .= 'select id, farm, server, secret, title, description, tags, dateuploaded from flickr.photos.info(1000) where photo_id in(select id from flickr.photos.search(1000) where user_id="49412513@N02") | sort(field="dateuploaded",descending="false")';

/* The YQL web service root with JSON as the output */
    $YQLroot = 'http://query.yahooapis.com/v1/public/yql?format=json&env=http%3A%2F%2Fdatatables.org%2Falltables.env';

/* Assemble the query */
    $YQLquery = "select * from yql.query.multi where queries='".$YQLquery."'";
    $YQLurl = $YQLroot . '&q=' . urlencode($YQLquery);

/* Do the curl call (access the data just like a browser would) */
    $YQLch = curl_init();
    curl_setopt($YQLch, CURLOPT_URL, $YQLurl);
    curl_setopt($YQLch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
    $YQLoutput = curl_exec($YQLch);
    curl_close($YQLch);
    $YQLdata = json_decode($YQLoutput);
    $YQLresults = $YQLdata->query->results->results;

any suggestions?
  • Here we are having around 70% error rate when doing YQL queries.
    It runs on AppEngine.
  • mmm, I'm on AppEngine as well...
    is it possible that Yahoo enforces a global rate limit for all apps running on AppEngine ???
  • Timeout exception rate continues to be very high (>50%)

Please help!
  • Hello Robyn, Nagesh -

Requests going to re1 colo are getting an error of 502. YQL Console doesnt even come up.
    Here is more information that might be helpful:

CODE
    <HEAD><TITLE>Connection refused</TITLE></HEAD>
    <BODY BGCOLOR="white" FGCOLOR="black">
    <FONT FACE="Helvetica,Arial"><B>
    Connection refused</B></FONT>

<!-- default "Connection refused" response (502) -->
    </BODY>
    <!-- p3.ydn.re1.yahoo.com compressed/chunked Mon Nov 8 21:59:24 PST 2010 -->

• 502 errors started to appear in my app today (Nov 8) at 7pm PST

it's a shame because the Timeout exceptions had been less frequent in the past couple of days (down below 10% of all YQL queries)
  • Experiencing the same issues with multiple client sites that are all LOW traffic and all are well inside the rate limits. I also cannot even return results in the YQL dev console.

@justinsane98
  • I noticed this problem yesterday evening and it still doesn't work today. My "app" is just a few Yahoo Pipes feeds that is parsed on a website I'm developing. It is not yet publicly accessible so the request limits won't kick in here. Here's the error I get:

This Pipe ran successfully but encountered some problems:

warning error fetching http://query.yahooapis.com/v1/public/yql?q...2Falltables.env (408 User-agent timeout (select))

warning Could not determine type for 'dateuploaded', using 'text' sort.

Also when I open the YQL console in my browser it is very slow and most of the time I get error messages like "An error has occurred" or "Problem contacting YQL".

I hope someone can fix this.
  • 502 errors are gone today but I still a few Timeout exceptions in my logs...

can we get a comment from a yahoo engineer on these random errors, please ?
  • I'm getting timeouts and connection refused errors all morning (GMT +10 here), any updates on the status of the service?

Recent Posts

in YQL