setSmallView Problems..

1. is there anyway to call setSmallView when the page (myYahoo) is loaded? If not, it is impossible to write a 'dynamic' app that for example fetches the latest news each time a user views their MyYahoo, please verify.

2. I have been playing with the sample app and setSmallView and have noticed some weirdness. Sometimes the contents of the small view switches back to the default for NO reason. At other times going into the canvas (which has a setSmallView) doesn't have any effect on the contents of the small view (even though you call setSmallView repeatedly by going into the canvas view), return back to the MyYahoo page doesn't reflect the changes..eventually I can get them to show up (by clicking refreshing, updating app, repeatedly going into the canvas)..but it seems to lack rhyme or reason

3. As feedback, using the YML A tag together with INSERT or REPACE to 'simulate' interaction in the small view (clicking on tabs, ie) is necessarily cumbersome. I would suggest you support iframe like OpenSocial

0 Replies
  • Hi Metablocks,

Let me try to answer your questions:

1. There is not currently a method for calling setSmallView on the load of my.yahoo, but that feature is being looked into (no ETA on public release though). The methods that we have found which are available to you are to use the yml:a tag to add AJAX behavior or run the small view update script through a cron job at regular intervals (still not as dynamic as you requested in the example provided)

2. We have not noticed this behavior before...this is actually the first report of this issue that I have seen. There are a few sample applications floating around the site so if you can send me over the link to the one you are using I'll set it up in my test environment to see if I can reproduce the problem. I'm guessing that since you're using the sample app you're also using the PHP SDK with no custom OAuth signing?

3. The security model of iframes is lacking and will provide what we feel is an unsafe environment for our end users. Please see my last post here http://developer.yahoo.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=611 or the documentation here http://developer.yahoo.com/yap/guide/caja-support.html for more details on iframe security. There is currently no plan to support iframes on YAP.

Take care and let me know if there's anything we can give you a hand with along the way.

Jonathan LeBlanc
    Senior Software Engineer
    Yahoo! Developer Network
    Twitter: jcleblanc

QUOTE (Metablocks (Social Media) @ Apr 2 2009, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    1. is there anyway to call setSmallView when the page (myYahoo) is loaded? If not, it is impossible to write a 'dynamic' app that for example fetches the latest news each time a user views their MyYahoo, please verify.

2. I have been playing with the sample app and setSmallView and have noticed some weirdness. Sometimes the contents of the small view switches back to the default for NO reason. At other times going into the canvas (which has a setSmallView) doesn't have any effect on the contents of the small view (even though you call setSmallView repeatedly by going into the canvas view), return back to the MyYahoo page doesn't reflect the changes..eventually I can get them to show up (by clicking refreshing, updating app, repeatedly going into the canvas)..but it seems to lack rhyme or reason

3. As feedback, using the YML A tag together with INSERT or REPACE to 'simulate' interaction in the small view (clicking on tabs, ie) is necessarily cumbersome. I would suggest you support iframe like OpenSocial

Recent Posts

in YAP