User preferences

I'm trying to create my first Yahoo App and am trying to figure out how I can let the user enter and then save some basic preferences. Just something simple like a string. All the other apps I've seen can do this be selecting 'options' and then 'settings' from the top right corner. I can't find any documentation on this, but perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong spot. Seems like this should be a basic thing to do.

Any hints or help would be great, thanks,

-Rob

by
2 Replies
  • Hi Rob, that options box at the top right of each app is automatically added by my.yahoo. If you add your application to my.yahoo then your application should have those options as well. There are a few applications that are non-YAP applications and those may have custom options. We currently do not have a method for editing that menu system on a case by case basis.

Jonathan LeBlanc
    Senior Software Engineer
    Yahoo! Developer Network
    Twitter: jcleblanc

QUOTE (robweberjr@... @ Aug 31 2009, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'm trying to create my first Yahoo App and am trying to figure out how I can let the user enter and then save some basic preferences. Just something simple like a string. All the other apps I've seen can do this be selecting 'options' and then 'settings' from the top right corner. I can't find any documentation on this, but perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong spot. Seems like this should be a basic thing to do.

Any hints or help would be great, thanks,

-Rob
  • Thanks for the reply.

I think I understand what you mean about the options being added through my.yahoo automatically. I guess just so I'm clear, there is no user preferences option like you would see when creating an iGoogle application? I guess what I was hoping to do is creating an app so that a user could enter their username in the settings (much like you could enter your ZIP for weather and have it remembered) so that I could pull in information from a user account associated with my website and display it in the application.
    I would like to be able to have them enter this information once when setting up the app and then never have to touch it again, so persistance is an issue. I've made iGoogle gadgets before and the preferences are nice when you need to persist information that is custom to the user, but will be the same once they've set it.
  • While there isn't a standardization for attaching accounts within the application platform, you can program that account syncing within your application. The Mint.com application does this account linking between their site accounts and the application to draw information from: http://apps.yahoo.com/-yqRaUQ7k/

This would be a manually developed process that is built out on your side though.

- Jon
  • Thanks,

I think I figured out a way I can do this by associating a user's yahoo username with their member information on my site; basically they can login once when they setup and I'll remember the association in my database. Now all I have to do is get the PHP SDK to work!
  • Yep that's the best way to do it. The GUID association will allow you to control quite a number of things on the application.

Recent Posts

in YAP