How can I update Yahoo Homepage SmallView?

Hi,

So I've been through the documentation and read myself around in circles a little. I previously build a static small but want to make it more dynamic like the BBCs World News.

I've read you can't use anything but HTML and YML Lite which means I can use any of my sites JSON services, is that correct?

I went on to find yml:include but can't seem to get a resource from my site pulled in using it as I get the "This application is having problems. Please try again later." message.

The Open Social xml file is on the yahoo server so I tried absolute path first when that didn't work I tried a relative one:

<yml:include params="yahootest2.html" delay="3000" />
<yml:include params="http://bjmarine.net/yahootest2.html" delay="5000">Will it work?</yml:include>

Can anyone advise me? Other Yahoo Homepage Open Social SmallViews seem to have managed this. What have I missed?

Thanks,
Denis

by
2 Replies
  • After reading a few other posts on the forum I also have confirmed that there is nothing wrong with the resoucre URL which is simple html:

<style type="text/css">
    #myhome-yahoo-wrapper2{margin: 0 auto;font-size:14px; color:green;}
    </style>
    <div id="myhome-yahoo-wrapper2">Testing yml:include</div>
  • Hi again Denis,

The issue that you are running into is because of the use of a .html file for the include. There are numerous session / container parameters that are sent through POST and require an endpoint that can accept those POST params - so a server side file. If you switch the load file to be something like a .php, .asp, etc. you should no longer have an issue.

I just ran several tests and have confirmed that your posted samples will work with that change.

Thanks

Jonathan LeBlanc
    Technology Evangelist
    Yahoo! Developer Network
    Twitter: @jcleblanc
  • QUOTE (Jonathan LeBlanc @ Jun 4 2010, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi again Denis,

The issue that you are running into is because of the use of a .html file for the include. There are numerous session / container parameters that are sent through POST and require an endpoint that can accept those POST params - so a server side file. If you switch the load file to be something like a .php, .asp, etc. you should no longer have an issue.

I just ran several tests and have confirmed that your posted samples will work with that change.

Thanks

Jonathan LeBlanc
    Technology Evangelist
    Yahoo! Developer Network
    Twitter: @jcleblanc

Denis,

Also, as noted in another post, the "params" tag attribute of yml:include must be a URL relative to your full view URL, and it cannot be an absolute URL.

Kevin

Recent Posts

in YAP