Help needed reguarding open social

Hello,
I am new to open social, can any one please tell me how to implement open social in Yahoo with an example.
I tried the example that was provided in this link http://developer.yahoo.com/yap/guide/opens...l-examples.html, but i got an error which said "gadgets is not defined". Can anyone please tell me how to run this example. Also, can i fetch the contacts lists from other domains for example gmail.com, orkut.com,.... as mentioned in linkedin.com website. It would be very helpful if you could help me with an example.

Thankyou
Mehraj

by
0 Replies
  • Hi Mehraj,

OpenSocial method calls can be made directly from the JavaScript layer. For example, this code will push an update from your application for the current user:

CODE
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var params = {}, activity;
    params[opensocial.Activity.Field.TITLE] = "My Update Title";
    params[opensocial.Activity.Field.BODY] = "My Update Description";
    activity = opensocial.newActivity(params);
    opensocial.requestCreateActivity(
    activity,
    opensocial.CreateActivityPriority.LOW,
    function(){});
    </script>

Regarding the contacts api that is available, you will only be able to grab contacts from your Yahoo! address book as far as I know. If there is a way to export contacts from gmail / orkut / etc. to XML, RSS or something like that you should be able to use YQL to grab those contacts from the external feed. Alternately, you can create a connection to Orkut on YAP to grab contact details from those accounts. I don't personally have any samples of doing that but it can be done by integrating their API into the PHP SDK or something of the like.

Jonathan LeBlanc
    Senior Software Engineer
    Yahoo! Developer Network

QUOTE (mehraj @ Mar 18 2009, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hello,
    I am new to open social, can any one please tell me how to implement open social in Yahoo with an example.
    I tried the example that was provided in this link http://developer.yahoo.com/yap/guide/opens...l-examples.html, but i got an error which said "gadgets is not defined". Can anyone please tell me how to run this example. Also, can i fetch the contacts lists from other domains for example gmail.com, orkut.com,.... as mentioned in linkedin.com website. It would be very helpful if you could help me with an example.

Thankyou
    Mehraj

Recent Posts

in YAP