oauth with ruby

To be blunt, is it possible to do it through the ruby interpreter in browserplus.
I don't think so but it doesn't hurt to ask

6 Replies
  • QUOTE (Monsignor Klaatu @ Dec 31 2008, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    To be blunt, is it possible to do it through the ruby interpreter in browserplus.

that's a great question. We've talked a lot about openid and oauth and end user
    pain points. the result of the discussion was that many people felt that we could
    write a small service which makes oauth style authentication faster and easier for
    end users. The idea would be that rather than having to redirect, if browserplus is
    present, you could drop down a secure html box that the user is able to authenticate
    to. This would be less interruption in the flow of browsing. I am not as savy as I'd
    like to be on the functioning of oauth and flow, but I think there is a good opportunity
    here.

The key to making this work would be the ability of browserplus services to render
    custom html prompts. If you're curious about pursuing this, let me know. This function
    (custom html prompts) is not well documented at the moment, but I'd be willing to
    provide some working sample code on github to fill the gap?

very best,
    lloyd
  • QUOTE (Lloyd Hilaiel @ Jan 5 2009, 06:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    that's a great question. We've talked a lot about openid and oauth and end user
    pain points. the result of the discussion was that many people felt that we could
    write a small service which makes oauth style authentication faster and easier for
    end users. The idea would be that rather than having to redirect, if browserplus is
    present, you could drop down a secure html box that the user is able to authenticate
    to. This would be less interruption in the flow of browsing. I am not as savy as I'd
    like to be on the functioning of oauth and flow, but I think there is a good opportunity
    here.

The key to making this work would be the ability of browserplus services to render
    custom html prompts. If you're curious about pursuing this, let me know. This function
    (custom html prompts) is not well documented at the moment, but I'd be willing to
    provide some working sample code on github to fill the gap?

very best,
    lloyd

LLoyd , I would love to see some sample code:) And try my best to work on this. I have to admit, I am having fun trying to lick this.
  • QUOTE (Monsignor Klaatu @ Jan 9 2009, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    LLoyd , I would love to see some sample code:) And try my best to work on this. I have to admit, I am having fun trying to lick this.

Hey Monsignor,

Extremely sorry for the delay, I've had my head buried in a couple features for the release of the BrowserPlus platform.

As far as the sample prompting service, here it is:
    http://github.com/lloyd/bp-prompting-sample/tree/master

very best,
    lloyd
  • QUOTE (Monsignor Klaatu @ Dec 31 2008, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

one more thought, it would be interesting to understand if any browser vendors have
    taken steps to address this problem, either in action or thought. it would be also interesting
    to understand if there are any addons out there that are working on this problem.

If we could take the best thought out there on the usability problems around oauth, and
    provide a service to make things better, it could be an interesting bit of work to throw
    at browser vendors to demonstrate a better way to do things...

lloyd
  • QUOTE (Lloyd Hilaiel @ Jan 5 2009, 06:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    one more thought, it would be interesting to understand if any browser vendors have
    taken steps to address this problem, either in action or thought. it would be also interesting
    to understand if there are any addons out there that are working on this problem.

If we could take the best thought out there on the usability problems around oauth, and
    provide a service to make things better, it could be an interesting bit of work to throw
    at browser vendors to demonstrate a better way to do things...

lloyd

I agree,
    I a doing my own searches.:)
  • I have a project for doing just this. Maybe I can help!
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in Support & General Questions