ie8 drag drop target doesn't recieve dropped files

I have got a fully working drag drop system in place that is working perfectly in firefox (and all other browsers aside from internet explorer 8).

This is a screen shot of the system.

Originally I had a system that allowed nested drop targets and targets were configured by javascript parsing the class string of apropriate elements. (you can see each colored box has some params). This worked by:
1) getting javascript to pre-calculate the depth (in the DOM) of each drop target and then
2) during drag hover callback over/out events setting a hover state flag for the particular drop target
3) during hover callback find the hover target that has state TRUE and the larger depth number (lower in the DOM)
4) getting drag drop configurations associated with that "best drop target"

As I said this was all working in firefox and seemed to be fully working in ie8 until there were was weirdness.

On ie8 it seems that setting a drop target to somethign that is covered by other dom elements makes the hover/drop fail. The drop/hover will either not work (it doesn't know that i am hover/dropping over a drop target) or the array of files is empty in the drop callback.

Since then I opted (not out of choice) to go for the static box (you can see it top right of the screenshot). This is not an ideal situation as my aim was to have a "drop files into folder" type approach. But in internet explorer this drop target doesn't work either?????

The hover event never happens and the file array is empty. Are there any guidlines as to what type of element can be a drop target?

I am running windows 7 64bit but ie8 32bit.

Please help

5 Replies
  • In general, any block element can receive drag events (I always use DIV). In practice though, IE and sometimes Safari have problems if there are other elements positioned above the actual element you register. Sometimes, you just have to play with the HTML to work out a solution.

--Steve

PS - there's an upper limit on the number of drop areas supported (about 10)
  • QUOTE (steven_spencer @ May 25 2010, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    In general, any block element can receive drag events (I always use DIV). In practice though, IE and sometimes Safari have problems if there are other elements positioned above the actual element you register. Sometimes, you just have to play with the HTML to work out a solution.

--Steve

PS - there's an upper limit on the number of drop areas supported (about 10)

Thanks for the answer. I have since figured out a system of just positioning invisible block elements at the top of the document and only relied on the one drop target (being the box in top right)

Is there any reason for a limit of 10 drop targets?
  • QUOTE (J P @ May 26 2010, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks for the answer. I have since figured out a system of just positioning invisible block elements at the top of the document and only relied on the one drop target (being the box in top right)

Is there any reason for a limit of 10 drop targets?

Hi J P,
    The limit on IE is actually 8. The need to "pick a number" is certainly not something we like. It is driven by the ATL connection point design, which forces us to pick a number at compile time. Is 8 insufficient for you, or were you just curious?

Regards,

Dave
  • Well for my original project plan it would have been insufficient as I was aiming to have it possible for every category / file/ etc act as a drop target that would trigger apropriate upload dialogs.

I have since opted for a single upload box that reads all available drop areas on the page (without turning them into drop targets) and gives the user some options as to how they would like to upload.

It would definitely be helpful to have the drop target limit documented on the website as I would have spent much less time searching for the reason some drop targets were not working...

It would also be very helpful to have some small explanation on the documentation to explain the limits of what can and can't be a drop target.
  • hello guys ...

its really nice and informative post....

i just liked it....

thanks for your information guys ...........
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in Support & General Questions