crash in windows explorer

I installed Browser Plus in Explorer 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp.051011-1528. The installation seemed to complete successfully, but each time I go to browserplus.yahoo.com, I get a dialog titled "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem with an add-on and needs to close." The add-on that was running when this problem occured: YBPAddon_2.1.11.dll. The only option I have is "Continue". I choose continue, I get a windows crash dialog, and Internet Explorer closes.

The same installation works in Firefox 2.0,0.18

by
7 Replies
  • QUOTE (runarabbit @ Dec 15 2008, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I installed Browser Plus in Explorer 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp.051011-1528. The installation seemed to complete successfully, but each time I go to browserplus.yahoo.com, I get a dialog titled "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem with an add-on and needs to close." The add-on that was running when this problem occured: YBPAddon_2.1.11.dll. The only option I have is "Continue". I choose continue, I get a windows crash dialog, and Internet Explorer closes.

The same installation works in Firefox 2.0,0.18

Hi Rabbit,

Thanks for posting. I'm wondering if I can get you to contribute a bug report? Steps would be
    1. reproduce the crash
    2. go to Program Files - Yahoo! BrowserPlus
    3. open the BrowserPlus configuration tool
    4. click on "troubleshooting"
    5. write "IE6 Crash" in the textarea
    6. click "send current log files"
    7. click "send report"

look forward to figuring out what's going on :)lloyd
  • Hi Lloyd, thanks for the reply. I've already sent one report through the config tool, but i went ahead and sent another. Do you have an on-line bug list for the project? Or is this forum the best place to report and search for existing bugs?
  • QUOTE (runarabbit @ Dec 17 2008, 04:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Lloyd, thanks for the reply. I've already sent one report through the config tool, but i went ahead and sent another. Do you have an on-line bug list for the project? Or is this forum the best place to report and search for existing bugs?

Yo Rabbit,

Received your report and we're puzzling over it now.

We don't have a public bug system set up now, but are working with the guys at YUI who are setting up trac. In the coming months we'll get a public system set up, and in the meantime the forums are the best place to report problems.

Thanks again for posting, and I'll followup when we get an idea what's going on...

very best,
    lloyd
  • QUOTE (Lloyd Hilaiel @ Dec 17 2008, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yo Rabbit,

Received your report and we're puzzling over it now.

We don't have a public bug system set up now, but are working with the guys at YUI who are setting up trac. In the coming months we'll get a public system set up, and in the meantime the forums are the best place to report problems.

Thanks again for posting, and I'll followup when we get an idea what's going on...

very best,
    lloyd

Hi Lloyd, just a quick note. I upgraded to 2.1.14 this morning. It's still crashing in IE. I sent a new log this morning from the Control Panel just in case there's some difference.
  • QUOTE (runarabbit @ Dec 20 2008, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi Lloyd, just a quick note. I upgraded to 2.1.14 this morning. It's still crashing in IE. I sent a new log this morning from the Control Panel just in case there's some difference.

Thank you for sending the new log. Still quite puzzling, as the plugin fails to load quite early....

Here's some questions:
    1. Which system service pack are you running?
    2. Do you have any browser add-ons or toolbars installed? which ones (if you don't mind sharing, of course)?

This bug is in our internal tracking system and I'm eager to figure it out. Come monday I'll dig a little bit deeper.

very best,
    lloyd
  • QUOTE (Lloyd Hilaiel @ Dec 20 2008, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thank you for sending the new log. Still quite puzzling, as the plugin fails to load quite early....

Here's some questions:
    1. Which system service pack are you running?
    2. Do you have any browser add-ons or toolbars installed? which ones (if you don't mind sharing, of course)?

This bug is in our internal tracking system and I'm eager to figure it out. Come monday I'll dig a little bit deeper.

very best,
    lloyd

1. Windows XP. Media Center Edition. Version 2002. Service Pack 2.
    2. I don't see anything unusual in my list of add-ons. I have add-ons from Microsoft, Adobe, Sun, HP(it's an hp laptop), Yahoo(toolbar), Real, Apple, and Netflix. I've tried disabling a lot of them, but it didn't help. I'd be glad to give you a full list, but I don't see a way to copy the list(i can see the list, but i don't want to have to type them all).
  • QUOTE (runarabbit @ Dec 22 2008, 06:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    1. Windows XP. Media Center Edition. Version 2002. Service Pack 2.
    2. I don't see anything unusual in my list of add-ons. I have add-ons from Microsoft, Adobe, Sun, HP(it's an hp laptop), Yahoo(toolbar), Real, Apple, and Netflix. I've tried disabling a lot of them, but it didn't help. I'd be glad to give you a full list, but I don't see a way to copy the list(i can see the list, but i don't want to have to type them all).

I have a similar issue and a similar configuration on my normal browser (not plus). It seems to be worse when using yahoo finance. Symptoms are freeze of yahoo windows/browsers/tabs or outright IE crash. I've had this for 6 months now.
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in Support & General Questions