ImageAlter not following maxwidth/height, returns wrong size

I was playing around with adding a YUI ImageCropper to the ImageTwiddler demo, and I noticed something strange. When I drop an image, the size returned by ImageAlter is 533x400, which obeys the max of 600x400 that ImageTwiddler sets. However the image it returns is actually 600x450. This then behaves strangely with the ImageCropper, because the cropper shows the real size of the image, but the rest of the image is scaled down.
Also, it would be nice to be able to give an exact scaled size to ImageAlter, e.g. scale to 100x100px, no matter what size the original image was.

by
4 Replies
  • I found another ImageAlter bug. If one of the crop coordinates is NAN, instead of returning an error it never even calls the callback.
  • One final thing. I tried using an altered image with Uploader, but it gave the error "files must contain BPTPaths". Can you only use ImageAlter for uploading images to Flickr? If so, it's far less useful than I'd hoped.
  • QUOTE (Rib Rdb @ Nov 15 2008, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    One final thing. I tried using an altered image with Uploader, but it gave the error "files must contain BPTPaths". Can you only use ImageAlter for uploading images to Flickr? If so, it's far less useful than I'd hoped.

Hi Rib,

You're absolutely right that ImageAlter 1.x has a return value incompatible with Uploader. We're working to remedy this, and here's an outline of our solution:

1. ImageAlter 2.x will return file handles. This file handles will point to temporary session scoped "files"
    2. FileAccess will be added, a service that can get to a temporal localhost url to a file handle.

In terms of your two imagealter bug reports, I'll definitely take a look (nan inputs for size and reported size different from actual size of image returned).

We'll be pushing a platform update and these two services (one update, and one new service) around the 25th of this month (nov).

Then the feature request, should have a way to scale an image to a precise dimension ignoring aspect ratio (please confirm I understood), will get added to our backlog. We'll have something good to say about feature requests like this next week (around, say, tuesday).

very best,
    lloyd
  • QUOTE (Lloyd Hilaiel @ Nov 16 2008, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    We'll have something good to say about feature requests like this next week (around, say, tuesday).

The good thing I was alluding to was our announcement about open sourcing browserplus: http://is.gd/8iWP

The idea here is that once we've got ImageAlter open sourced, if you have feature requests that don't get prioritized by us to your satisfaction, you'll be able to provide a patch, we integrate, everyone wins.

best,
    lloyd
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in Support & General Questions