Cannot UNINSTALL BrowserPlus

Hi.

I don't know how I wound up with this application, but I don't want it. I'm trying to uninstall it, so I've run the uninstaller, and every time I do, I get an error message that says 'bpuninstaller.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close', and then it crashes out the program.

I tried redownloading the program, so that any erroneous files would be replaced so I could uninstall it, and again, when I try to install it, I get an error that says, 'An error was encountered during the installation of BrowserPlus. Error encountered during installation.'

What gives??

Please tell me how to get this off my computer. It's just taking up space right now, and not really wanted AT ALL!

Thank you.

by
22 Replies
  • Jennie,

Sorry to hear you're having problems uninstalling. Clearly that shouldn't happen.

BrowserPlus likely was installed as part of the Y! mail attachment stuff, it's what powers the new mail attachment features.

If you don't mind, if you could email the uninstaller's log file to browserplus-feedback@yahoo-inc.com, it would help us fix
    whatever's going wrong for you. The logfile is in:
    \Users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\Temp\BrowserPlusUninstaller.log (Vista and Windows7)
    \Documents and Settings\<yourname>\Local Settings\Temp\BrowserPlusUninstaller.log (XP)

To manually uninstall, remove the following directory:
    \Users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\Yahoo!\BrowserPlus (Vista and Windows 7)
    \Documents and Settings\<yourname>\Local Settings\Application Data\Yahoo!\BrowserPlus (XP)
    In addition, if you have Firefox 2, remove \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npybrowserplus*.dll

-- gordon
  • QUOTE (Gordon @ Nov 12 2009, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    If you don't mind, if you could email the uninstaller's log file to browserplus-feedback@yahoo-inc.com, it would help us fix
    whatever's going wrong for you.

-- gordon

Hi Gordon!

Thank you for the quick reply to my question.

I emailed the log file, as you requested. I hope you're able to find something out with it.

And thank you for the manual removal instructions. I really appreciated that!

Thanks again! ^_
    Jennie,

Sorry to hear you're having problems uninstalling. Clearly that shouldn't happen.

BrowserPlus likely was installed as part of the Y! mail attachment stuff, it's what powers the new mail attachment features.

\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\Temp\BrowserPlusUninstaller.log (Vista and Windows7)
    \Documents and Settings\<yourname>\Local Settings\Temp\BrowserPlusUninstaller.log (XP)

\Documents and Settings\<yourname>\Local Settings\Application Data\Yahoo!\BrowserPlus (XP)
    In addition, if you have Firefox 2, remove \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npybrowserplus*.dll

-- gordon

I also have the problem of not being able to uninstall BrowserPlus which seemed to have piggybacked on my Yahoo Messenger installation. It give me the option to uninstall but every time I try to remove it, I get the following message: "bpuninstall.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience." I have Windows XP and Mozilla Firefox. I don't know anything about computers so I didn't really understand your instructions to manually uninstall the program. How exactly does one "remove a directory"? I did search for that file you described--npybrowserplus*.dll--in order to delete it, but my search had no results for that file.
  • Mr. Gordon, i am also encountering the same problem...there's a browser plus
    blocking my yahoo mails...I can't reply or open my mails...once the browser
    plus pops in.. What can i do???

Rose Medalla....
    rosefernandez143@yahoo.com

QUOTE (Gordon @ Nov 12 2009, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Jennie,

-- gordon
    Jennie,

-- gordon

Dear Gordon,

I am currently having a problem with uninstalling BrowserPluse on my Windows Vista. I have tryed what you seggested in the past post on the part to manully uninstall BrowserPlus, but it did not work. So if i send this info to you will it help remove this browser or are you just blowing hot air, and do you realy work for yahoo.com?
  • Hello,

I follow the manual procedure on removing Yahoo browserplus but it didn't work on my case. The log file would be "2009-12-07 05:53:52Z [544:3828] INFO - WinMain: Inside parent uninstaller process."

Please send me a detail on how to remove it. I dont want it on my computer.

Im using XP, SP3

Russ
  • in th section u explained ...how to remove manually itz not showing such folder named browserplus but itz being displayed in add or remove programs and the space taken is 752 "mb" (have a take on dat) and if i'm tryin to remove it it shows a runtime error..so plzzz can u sort out d problem
  • HOW DARE YOU INSTALL SOMETHING ON MY MACHINE WITHOUT MY ACCEPTANCE. I don't get this cram down approach. Your program may be really great but from now on Browser Plus is synonymous with VIRUS!!
  • I am having the same problem with Mac OS 10 Leopard. Every time yahoo mail loads Safari crashes. Looking around the internet at other computer fix sites this seems to be a major problem for everyone. Why would yahoo be so irresponsible as to put out a plug in like this. Either they are incompetent or have have some other issue.
  • QUOTE (Robert @ Feb 8 2010, 05:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I am having the same problem with Mac OS 10 Leopard. Every time yahoo mail loads Safari crashes. Looking around the internet at other computer fix sites this seems to be a major problem for everyone. Why would yahoo be so irresponsible as to put out a plug in like this. Either they are incompetent or have have some other issue.

Hey Robert,

Thanks for letting us know of the situation. Would you be willing to reproduce the problem and send us a bug report?
    http://browserpl.us/docs/FAQ.html#bugReport

Please drop a note on this forum once you've done so and I'll be able to find your report.

Also, If you can provide a stack trace, that would really help out. If you search for the CrashReporterPrefs application on your map and temporarily set it to "Developer", you'll get a pop up window when safari crashes that let's you view "crash details". If you were to make that available to us it would help us track your issue down.

very best,
    lloyd
  • I cannot uninstall either. I am running OS X 10.6.2, there is no Yahoo folder in applications, and the uninstall button within the system preferences window doesn't work. no idea how i got this item in sys prefs but i would like to remove it.
  • I also picked up this little bundle of joy when I wanted to share a picture with someone over email. I'm on a Mac, btw. BrowserPus isn't 64 bit and I don't really want you to have a control panel on my machine. The uninstall script is not where the help claims it should be (applications/Yahoo!/something).

I must thank you, really. I have been thinking for a long time of dropping my yahoo mail accounts in favor of something else. I've been lazy though but now you've put the fire in my belly. I've got some homework to do.
  • Oh, there's the uninstall. For macs, it's in the browserplus control panel itself. Your yahoo help system lists a script that is not present as the right way to uninstall.

I still believe this software is not necessary. It certainly wasn't for simple email before and I don't know why you think it is now.
  • QUOTE (Charlie R @ Feb 20 2010, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Oh, there's the uninstall. For macs, it's in the browserplus control panel itself. Your yahoo help system lists a script that is not present as the right way to uninstall.

I still believe this software is not necessary. It certainly wasn't for simple email before and I don't know why you think it is now.

I take back my retraction. The uninstall button in the control panel does nothing. Uninstall on the mac appears to be broken.
  • I am using Windows 7 Enterprise and have uninstalled BrowserPlus with the "uninstall" button a million times, and it always says 100% of the time that it is successful. I will check my whole system for it, and it will be gone. BUT when I restart my computer, it will automatically reinstall itself every single time.
  • :a GET THIS THING OFF OF MY BROWSER OR I WILL GO TO GOOGLE MAIL! I just went through a huge mess getting firefox off (kept telling me to install Adobe flashplayer) and now this--NONE of the methods you describe removes it!
  • the folder listed in the manual removal instructions does not exist even with show hidden files and folders selected. How do you remove Browser plus form your pc when the uninstaller doesn´t work? Please release uninstall software to remove every trace of this `pile of pooh' from my machine!
  • I can't uninstall the Browser Plus. I use XP. I've gone to Add/Remove programs click remove it asks if I really want to remove I click yes and nothing. Same thing going into my C drive to get to uninstall Browser and still nothing. Ever since I discovered this on my system everything is very slow. I appreciate any help.
  • Can you tell me how to do the removal from my iMac, OS is 10.7.2. Neither the disable nor uninstall do anything?
    Need a manual uninstall procedure,
    Many thanks !

QUOTE(Gordon @ 12 Nov 2009 10:07 AM)
    Jennie,

\Users\ \AppData\Local\Temp\BrowserPlusUninstaller.log (Vista and Windows7)
    \Documents and Settings\ \Local Settings\Temp\BrowserPlusUninstaller.log (XP)

\Users\ \AppData\Local\Yahoo!\BrowserPlus (Vista and Windows 7)
    \Documents and Settings\ \Local Settings\Application Data\Yahoo!\BrowserPlus (XP)

-- gordon
  • WTF! this addon makes my email usable...I am on a Mac OS x 10.6.8, using firefox...the damn Browseplus doesnt show in my plug in list but ever since I installed i just get the yelllow warning bar that it only runs in 32 bit...how do i delete the damn thing?

• @marc n What about getting help from here http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/disable-or-remove-add-ons

• Browser Plus is a browser extension. Check in the Extensions list

This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in Support & General Questions