BrowserPlus is not installed on Firefox on Win XP

Although running the BrowserPlus installer on Win XP allows BP to be used from IE7, I've yet to find an installation of Firefox where BP actually gets installed.

After installation, Firefox still shows the message "BrowserPlus is not installed".

I've looked at the install log, and it lists that it has written a file libnspr4.dll to the Yahoo BP directory under program files, but unlike for IE where it also writes a plugin to the IE directory, it does not seem to be writing anything to any of the Firefox directories, to enable the plugin for them. The user I'm installing as does have full admin rights to the WinXP system.

I have both Firefox 2 and Firefox 3 installed, each in their own directories (and hence neither of these is under the "program files" hierarchy).

If I do "about:plugins" in Firefox, there is no sign of a BP plugin listed.

What do I need to do to install BP within Firefox?

by
4 Replies
    I have both Firefox 2 and Firefox 3 installed, each in their own directories (and hence neither of these is under the "program files" hierarchy).

If I do "about:plugins" in Firefox, there is no sign of a BP plugin listed.

What do I need to do to install BP within Firefox?

The plugin was installed in the plugins directory of the other Firefox installed on your machine. Simply copy npybrowserplus_2.1.6.dll from that installation to the Firefox version you were using when you installed Firefox. E.g. from your 2.x version to the plugins directory of 3.x.

The installer doesn't detect multiple Firefox installations and seems to install the plugin into the plugins directory of the lowest version number.

=bartt
  • We have a fix for the multiple/non-standard firefox installation issues and should be pushing an update shortly. Until then, the workaround that bartt describes should work.

-- gordon
  • QUOTE (Gordon @ Nov 5 2008, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    We have a fix for the multiple/non-standard firefox installation issues and should be pushing an update shortly. Until then, the workaround that bartt describes should work.

Looking forward to the fix, since the workaround does not apply.

As I noted, there does not appear to be any files that have been added to ANY of the Firefox installations - nothing is noted in the install log, and the npybrowserplus_2.1.6.dll does not appear to have been placed anywhere on my hard drive.

If simply copying this file in will fix the problem, is there somewhere where I can download this file from?
  • QUOTE (mebdcl @ Nov 7 2008, 03:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Looking forward to the fix, since the workaround does not apply.

As I noted, there does not appear to be any files that have been added to ANY of the Firefox installations - nothing is noted in the install log, and the npybrowserplus_2.1.6.dll does not appear to have been placed anywhere on my hard drive.

If simply copying this file in will fix the problem, is there somewhere where I can download this file from?

so here's the file: http://lloydforge.org/~lloydh/npybrowserplus_2.1.6.dll

Meantime we're pushing 2.1.7 to fix this by monday, we'll make an announcement on the Announce forum when it's available.

lloyd
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in Support & General Questions