Weather Service - Lat/Lon

• Suggestion: Allow lat/lon coordinates as input the the weather service, in addition to location id or zipcode.
  •  

The fact that the weather service only allows a zipcode or Location Id to be specified, seems like a limitation to me. Ideally the service would also allow lat/lon coordinates (as provided by JSR-179 Location API for J2ME) to be specified, or at least have a service to provide a Location Id based on a lat/lon. Perhaps I missing something as to why this is not possible or was not done it just seems incomplete and unfortunately is not usable in it's current state.

by
4 Replies
  • QUOTE (seanlruff @ Aug 5 2008, 05:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Suggestion: Allow lat/lon coordinates as input the the weather service, in addition to location id or zipcode.

The fact that the weather service only allows a zipcode or Location Id to be specified, seems like a limitation to me. Ideally the service would also allow lat/lon coordinates (as provided by JSR-179 Location API for J2ME) to be specified, or at least have a service to provide a Location Id based on a lat/lon. Perhaps I missing something as to why this is not possible or was not done it just seems incomplete and unfortunately is not usable in it's current state.

that's a good suggestion. I'm guessing most people are interested in weather by zip or city...

you can use the yahoo geo api's to translate lat/long to zip, city, etc., then pass that to the weather service.
  • Thank you for the interest in a Weather Forecast service based on Lat/Long.

Using the Y!Geo services (http://developer.yahoo.com/geo/) you could get to a WOEID for various points of interest.

This woeid could be used to retrieve the weather info through an updated weather api that we are working to make available through YDN.
  • QUOTE (Raghu @ Aug 26 2008, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thank you for the interest in a Weather Forecast service based on Lat/Long.

Using the Y!Geo services (http://developer.yahoo.com/geo/) you could get to a WOEID for various points of interest.

This woeid could be used to retrieve the weather info through an updated weather api that we are working to make available through YDN.

Hi - is there any news on this updated weather API that can use WOEID's to retrieve the relevant weather info? If not does anyone have any further info on how best to retrieve weather based on a users input (this will be global so can't rely on US Zip or even global city, ideally we'll be looking up by local countries zip/post code)?

http://xoap.weather.com/search/search?where=prague looks useful but not ideal as it's not a great UX to ask people to enter their nearest city...
  • Does anyone know how, after I change my zip code to the one that is actually mine, that I can save it when look at the weather window? Each day I check the weather report and each day I have to change from this town 500 miles away.

Also I seem to have all kinds of 'saved' cities all around the earth, like I care what the weather is in India or France. How do I delete all this fluff.

Recent Posts

in Suggestions for YDN