Newcomer FAQ

One major issue I have at this point is the lack of clear and relevant information for newcomers to the API development world. I was very excited about YAHOO BOSS until I felt helpless with its FAQ.

Yahoo needs to address issues that newcomers may have. A single FAQ for different user-levels is insufficient.

As a matter-of-fact, after reading through the documentation for 2 days I still cannot figure out how to get started developing my BOSS API, even though I have created an APPLICATION ID for it. Very frustrating!

I think the FAQ for BOSS is one of the most ill-written FAQs I have ever read. The answers do not address the questions clearly.

by
1 Reply
  • QUOTE (tubbsdavid@ymail.com @ Jul 31 2008, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    One major issue I have at this point is the lack of clear and relevant information for newcomers to the API development world. I was very excited about YAHOO BOSS until I felt helpless with its FAQ.

Yahoo needs to address issues that newcomers may have. A single FAQ for different user-levels is insufficient.

As a matter-of-fact, after reading through the documentation for 2 days I still cannot figure out how to get started developing my BOSS API, even though I have created an APPLICATION ID for it. Very frustrating!

I think the FAQ for BOSS is one of the most ill-written FAQs I have ever read. The answers do not address the questions clearly.

hi David, sorry to hear of your frustration. The FAQ you're referring to is http://developer.yahoo.com/search/boss/boss_guide/faq.html

did you download the Boss Mashup Framework (FAQ item 12)? it contains the BOSS api python libraries, and has some sample applications that look fairly strait-forward.

Or go here: http://developer.yahoo.com/search/boss/mashup.html and download the files from the "download " button at the upper right side of the page.

The included readme file should get you started setting up your dev environment, and the python code in the examples folder might be what you're looking for.

Your feedback is appreciated. Let us know if you already tried this, and are having further difficulty.

Regards,

Isao

Recent Posts

in Suggestions for YDN