My Yahoo Search Box Focus

Okay, this one's really for my mom but it should be easy to fix. My mom, yes, my old computer illiterate mom now practically lives on the Yahoo front page but still likes everything very simple. I tried to show her about her My Yahoo! page and she tried it for a couple days but then switched back away from it because in her words, "I can't just start typing what I want to go to right away." It took me not too long to realize she meant that the search box on My Yahoo! is not automatically given focus when it loads like the regular old Yahoo page is. When I load my own My Yahoo! page I can't tell what, if anything, is given focus. Shouldn't that be easy for the dev team to fix?

by
7 Replies
  • Christian,

I'll pass this along to the My Yahoo! team. Thanks,

Robyn Tippins
    Community Manager,YDN
  • Thanks.
  • I actually prefer it not having focus -- My Yahoo is my homepage, but I use firefox with various search engine plugins, and it drives me nuts that I open a new browser window and start typing a google, amazon, imdb, etc search - two or three characters into my typing, my text entry switches over to the yahoo search input for the remaining characters. So whichever search option I want to use, I have to re-type it.
  • Please, please, please, please remove this auto-focus to the search box. It is truly a pain in the rear to be halfway through typing a url in the address bar to find out your home page has stolen your cursor and moved it to the search box. Bad Yahoo! developers! Bad!
  • Please remove the focus on the search bar!'

This drives me crazy. Crazy enough to switch to iGoogle and dump my paid yahoo services along with it.
  • QUOTE (bergerjs @ Nov 15 2009, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Please remove the focus on the search bar!'

This drives me crazy. Crazy enough to switch to iGoogle and dump my paid yahoo services along with it.

Agreed. What say you Yahoo! developers??
  • Even though YDN does not control the content and cannot enforce this change, here's the situation that I can see. If we remove the focus, we will have a whole new group of people complaining that the feature was removed and telling us how much they loved it. There are two sides to this and unfortunately no answer will appeal to 100% of the people.

Jonathan LeBlanc
    Technology Evangelist
    Yahoo! Developer Network
    Twitter: jcleblanc
  • QUOTE (Jonathan LeBlanc @ Dec 1 2009, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Even though YDN does not control the content and cannot enforce this change, here's the situation that I can see. If we remove the focus, we will have a whole new group of people complaining that the feature was removed and telling us how much they loved it. There are two sides to this and unfortunately no answer will appeal to 100% of the people.

Jonathan LeBlanc
    Technology Evangelist
    Yahoo! Developer Network
    Twitter: jcleblanc

How about a configurable option so each user can decide for themselves? Similar to configuring how many search results are displayed on a page, whether to open a selected site in a new window, etc. It is really aggravating to me that when I click on Yahoo news articles and try to scroll down to read them, I have to click on the page first to get the cursor out of the search box. Also, if I go back a page, now my browser can't return to the position I had scrolled to, as the page jumps back to the top where the cursor is. Whether a user likes or dislikes the cursor going to the seach box may have a lot to do with how their browser responds, what they use to scroll the page, and what they are doing. If I click on a news story, I want to read that story, not do another search. Please consider a user configurable option for this, or pass it on to the department that could consider it. Thanks!

Recent Posts

in Suggestions for YDN