Bad practice for a Yahoo web service to be unavailable for consecutive days

I recently learned of the Yahoo Placemaker web service, which sounds great.

However, when I decided to try it I saw the YDN Geo Technologies page indicates the Placemaker service has been unavailable. It's labeled "maintenance - back next week" and the link to the page about the service is disabled. The GeoPlanet Data service is similarly unavailable with the same label.

I realize there's no service guarantees for these kind of Yahoo free web services, but if a lot of people make use of them in applications is it reasonable for service to just disappear for long maintenance intervals? Can't maintenance be done in such a way as to provide better continuity?

When are the services expected to be available again? I wonder if "next week" refers to Sun 9/13, Mon 9/14, or some other day?

Thank you for any further infomation about this.

by
  • B
  • Sep 12, 2009
0 Replies
  • Hi bruce123flikr,

Unfortunately this was required maintenance downtime on our side - we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Placemaker should now be online and available once again.

Jonathan LeBlanc
    Technology Evangelist
    Yahoo! Developer Network
    Twitter: jcleblanc

QUOTE (bruce123flikr @ Sep 12 2009, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I recently learned of the Yahoo Placemaker web service, which sounds great.

However, when I decided to try it I saw the YDN Geo Technologies page indicates the Placemaker service has been unavailable. It's labeled "maintenance - back next week" and the link to the page about the service is disabled. The GeoPlanet Data service is similarly unavailable with the same label.

I realize there's no service guarantees for these kind of Yahoo free web services, but if a lot of people make use of them in applications is it reasonable for service to just disappear for long maintenance intervals? Can't maintenance be done in such a way as to provide better continuity?

When are the services expected to be available again? I wonder if "next week" refers to Sun 9/13, Mon 9/14, or some other day?

Thank you for any further infomation about this.

Recent Posts

in Suggestions for YDN