dynamic extensions for shared object files

to dynamically link shared object tutorials say we need to adjust the ruby.rb file , but for this interpretor we don't have it
to statically link the shared object we have to adjust the Setup file in folder ext. I downloaded Ruby itself and didn't find a ext folder.
Can we dynamically link shared objects in the browserplus Ruby interpretor. If not then I don't see how we can get the ssl aspects needed to connect securely to anything, and without secure connection that changes what extended the browser can really do, in today's internet.

3 Replies
  • QUOTE (Monsignor Klaatu @ Jan 13 2009, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    to dynamically link shared object tutorials say we need to adjust the ruby.rb file , but for this interpretor we don't have it
    to statically link the shared object we have to adjust the Setup file in folder ext. I downloaded Ruby itself and didn't find a ext folder.
    Can we dynamically link shared objects in the browserplus Ruby interpretor. If not then I don't see how we can get the ssl aspects needed to connect securely to anything, and without secure connection that changes what extended the browser can really do, in today's internet.

Hey Monsignor,

Seems like there are two feature requests here:
    1. built in SSL support in the ruby interpreter
    2. support for ruby services that ship with ruby extensions

Both of these seem reasonable, and in fact we've received several requests for the ability to load dynamic libraries into the ruby environment. A prerequisite for this will be our next platform release which will better isolate ruby from BrowserPlus and will address a ton of stability related issues.

So, request is heard, ideas are good.

very best,
    lloyd
  • QUOTE (Lloyd Hilaiel @ Jan 14 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hey Monsignor,

Seems like there are two feature requests here:
    1. built in SSL support in the ruby interpreter
    2. support for ruby services that ship with ruby extensions

Both of these seem reasonable, and in fact we've received several requests for the ability to load dynamic libraries into the ruby environment. A prerequisite for this will be our next platform release which will better isolate ruby from BrowserPlus and will address a ton of stability related issues.

So, request is heard, ideas are good.

very best,
    lloyd

alright Lloyd, will wait.
    I tried to use openssl from ruby and the openssl.so file couldn't work in it. I would also say, concerning SSL, you guys need to put the equifax yahoo security certificate in the SSL security module you develop.

be safe, and stay warm
  • QUOTE (Monsignor Klaatu @ Jan 14 2009, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    alright Lloyd, will wait.
    I tried to use openssl from ruby and the openssl.so file couldn't work in it. I would also say, concerning SSL, you guys need to put the equifax yahoo security certificate in the SSL security module you develop.

be safe, and stay warm

Hi Monsignor,

I apologize for the delay. I'm actually working on this one now on the side, it will be coupled with a update to ruby 1.9.

you can monitor or participate here:

http://github.com/lloyd/bp-ruby/tree/master

thank you for your patience, and very best,
    lloyd
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in Service Authors