Thanks Yahoo!

I'd just like to take a moment to thank everyone at Yahoo for freely providing offering this great service for the last 2 years. I hope the negative backlash against the recent API switching mistake hasn't give you the impression that all us devs are ungrateful jerks with unreasonable expectations about free services. Some of us really do appreciate all the work you guys have put into Placefinder, even if it hasn't been perfectly stable. The API-switch problem didn't affect my company anyway, since I was careful to ensure our application had an appropriate fallback when Placefinder isn't working (which I thought was common sense when integrating with services you aren't paying for, but I guess not).

I'm not sure if my company will be making the switch to BOSS (the pricing is kinda high for us), but in any case I wish you all the best of luck in building a great platform!

by
2 Replies
  • Mason, just curious what you use as a fallback for Placefinder. We've been unsuccessful in finding another good service that provides what we want. Ours is a simple request, send the zipcode to Placefinder and return the city, state, county.

Thanks

QUOTE(Mason @ 3 Oct 2012 3:27 PM)
    I'd just like to take a moment to thank everyone at Yahoo for freely providing offering this great service for the last 2 years. I hope the negative backlash against the recent API switching mistake hasn't give you the impression that all us devs are ungrateful jerks with unreasonable expectations about free services. Some of us really do appreciate all the work you guys have put into Placefinder, even if it hasn't been perfectly stable. The API-switch problem didn't affect my company anyway, since I was careful to ensure our application had an appropriate fallback when Placefinder isn't working (which I thought was common sense when integrating with services you aren't paying for, but I guess not).

I'm not sure if my company will be making the switch to BOSS (the pricing is kinda high for us), but in any case I wish you all the best of luck in building a great platform!
  • We use geonames.org for that purpose. For us, the big thing that Placefinder does that geonames.org can't do is geocoding free-form input. That's a very difficult thing to do well (especially when it comes to international addresses), and Placefinder is the only free, or reasonably-priced, service I've found that's decent at it.

QUOTE(DougS @ 3 Oct 2012 5:55 PM)
    Mason, just curious what you use as a fallback for Placefinder. We've been unsuccessful in finding another good service that provides what we want. Ours is a simple request, send the zipcode to Placefinder and return the city, state, county.

Thanks

This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in PlaceFinder General Discussion