Results sorted by quality?

I have two related questions. First, if multiple results are returned by PlaceFinder, are these sorted from highest precision to lowest? Second, if I specify count=1 in my query, will I only get the highest precision result?

Thank you.

by
2 Replies
  • QUOTE (Laura @ Aug 2 2010, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I have two related questions. First, if multiple results are returned by PlaceFinder, are these sorted from highest precision to lowest? Second, if I specify count=1 in my query, will I only get the highest precision result?

Thank you.

Hi,

I work on application that uses Place Finder and analyzed results a little. What I found is that Quality is not the highest quality from all results.Sometimes there are 2 Results with qualities 40 and 20 and Quality is 20. What to say when Quality is 59 and for 2 Results qualities are both 40.Further, I can tell nothing about sorting because sometimes there are 20->40, and other 40->20. Also, if count=1 you can not be sure that you will be served the highest precision result.
    I don't understand what this Quality really mean. Definition said that it isbest possible quality of the address specified by the input parameter., and they also said If the result quality is less than the best possible Quality, then the accuracy of the result is less than requested, but I received ResultSet where Quality is less then quality, which is contradiction.
  • QUOTE (Petar @ Aug 5 2010, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi,

I work on application that uses Place Finder and analyzed results a little. What I found is that Quality is not the highest quality from all results.Sometimes there are 2 Results with qualities 40 and 20 and Quality is 20. What to say when Quality is 59 and for 2 Results qualities are both 40.Further, I can tell nothing about sorting because sometimes there are 20->40, and other 40->20. Also, if count=1 you can not be sure that you will be served the highest precision result.
    I don't understand what this Quality really mean. Definition said that it isbest possible quality of the address specified by the input parameter., and they also said If the result quality is less than the best possible Quality, then the accuracy of the result is less than requested, but I received ResultSet where Quality is less then quality, which is contradiction.

The Quality element (with a uppercase Q) indicates the best address quality that could be returned for a query string. This address quality is based on which address components, such as house number, street name, city name, are included in the query string. The quality element (with a lowercase q) indicates the actual address quality for a result. If the house number or street name does not exist, the address quality for a result will be lower than the best address quality. You can compare the best address quality with the result address quality to tell if the geocoder needed to ignore parts of the query string in order to produce a result. Some address quality codes directly indicate that certain address data, such as house number or street name, is incorrect or ignored, so you may often ignore the best quality.

Results are returned based on the result probability whenever possible or in alphabetic order. Multiple results should be presented to the user for manual disambiguation or correction.

Eddie Babcock
    Yahoo! Geo Technologies
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in PlaceFinder General Discussion