Return the type of building/address

It would be very useful for address scrubbing/verification applications if the placefinder results included the type of building with each match. This would allow an application to request an apartment number if the address is for a multi-dwelling unit but the user hasn't supplied a unit. For applications that end with physical shipment of a product, validating addresses to this level is very helpful. (In the sense that it helps avoid paying lots of money in redelivery fees.)

Other address scrubber/validator products I've used included a type code with each match, categorizing each as a street address, po box, rural route, multi-dwelling unit, business or general delivery. It would be great to see a similar feature in placefinder.

by
1 Reply
  • QUOTE (lfodomains @ Aug 2 2010, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It would be very useful for address scrubbing/verification applications if the placefinder results included the type of building with each match. This would allow an application to request an apartment number if the address is for a multi-dwelling unit but the user hasn't supplied a unit. For applications that end with physical shipment of a product, validating addresses to this level is very helpful. (In the sense that it helps avoid paying lots of money in redelivery fees.)

Other address scrubber/validator products I've used included a type code with each match, categorizing each as a street address, po box, rural route, multi-dwelling unit, business or general delivery. It would be great to see a similar feature in placefinder.

PlaceFinder is not a substitute for an official address validator. It is not certified by the USPS, and does not use USPS files for geocoding. The USPS Zip-4 data files contain information about building type (Firm, Highrise, PO Box, General Delivery). PlaceFinder currently uses these data files to determine the Zip-4 code for addresses, but not the building type. I'll add this to our enhancement list, but I can't give you any promises for when you might see this feature in PlaceFinder. Thanks for your suggestion?

Eddie Babcock
    Yahoo! Geo Technologies
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in PlaceFinder Enhancement Requests