Using pipes has resulted in a site blocking MY IP ADDRESS for 429 errors

Starting yesterday I haven't been able to use...

torrentz.eu

http://torrentz.eu/

...in my browser. The error message I get is:

Load Balancer Error: 429 Too Many Requests

Why did it happen?

It wasn't because of my browser usage. The only way I access the site in my browser is the way 99% of the world does - via my mouse and keyboard. I don't run scripts or code to access the site.

I know that a few of my very old pipes used torrentz.eu. I checked them today and I saw that they were generating 429 errors. I deleted them. I don't know if it'll change anything though.

The only logical reason I can see that Torrentz (torrentz.eu, torrentz.ch) blocked me is that my pipes 429 errors were connected to my IP address.

===

Questions

• For every pipe I make - is my address given to the sites involved?

• How can I go through my pipes (they are all unpublished) and find the ones that use torrentz.eu? I have no idea how many pipes I have. 100? Please tell me there's a search method. Don't tell me I have to click-click-click-click my way through my pipes.

===

Gee thanks Yahoo! It was so nice that you put "time bombs" into my pipes. How many other sites are going to ban me for 429s?

Sheesh.

by
5 Replies
  • hello,

I don't see how your IP address would be embedded in your pipe. When a pipe is run, it's the yahoo's server IP which is querying the source, as shown by the thread on CraigList.

Best-

• I don't see how your IP address would be embedded in your pipe.

I'm not a programmer so the hows and whys are beyond me.

A Pipes bug certainly wouldn't surprise me. I suspect a bug is to blame.

Maybe I'm missing something painfully obvious but it seems to me that Pipes is to blame. It could be a coincidence but if Pipes isn't to blame - what is?

If you don't mind a possible (permanent?) ban at Torrentz you could make a simple pipe and grab the page for http://torrentz.eu/searchA?f=testing and see if/when the site bans you.

If I'm right I suspect they'd ban you pretty quickly. Within 24 hours? 48 hours?

Pipes has no log files and I have no idea how long the pipes were generating 429 errors.

I hope somebody from the Pipes team gives me a definitive answer if IP addresses are passed to sites by design or because of a bug. Sometimes the team never answers and they leave you in the dark.

I googled a lot about Torrentz and 429 errors and there were hardly any results. Also, nearly 100% of the results I checked involved people spidering (etc) the site. One comment said people could be banned for accessing the site too much.

Update: Torrentz is still blocking me.

===

I forgot to mention that I can access http://torrentz.eu/ - of course it's pointless though. I can't use the site in any way shape or fashion.

• To put you at ease, I did made the pipe, I'll check in a few days. What page do you try to access that give you 429 errors?

• Testing...

This forum is buggy. I can't see my posts.

Oh, man does Yahoo suck! Good grief.

Recent Posts

in Pipes