Filter returns very odd results

I am trying to produce a sort of "AND feed", where the articles from RSS sources have to match words in two filters. Generally this seems to be working in terms of there's lots of input and much less output, but when I look at the output from either of the filters I get very strange results.

Here's the pipe : http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.info?_id=ad1986b6e11677bbc84fe8c27a854812

Edit it and click on the first of the two filters. Right now I get about 30 outputs from a list of maybe 90 inputs. So it's doing something. But when I look at the list of items that are returned, it seems that most of them do not match any of the filter terms.

For instance, right now I see that the first filter is returning a story about World of Warcraft. I've looked at the text of item.description and it doesn't appear to contain any of the terms in the filter list.

Ok, now click on the second filter. This is sub-filtering the input from the first, so there should be very little output. Indeed, while I write this there's only one line of output, an article called "Can Our Computers Continue To Get Smaller and More Powerful?" As you might suspect, this doesn't have anything to do with my aim, and again, looking carefully, I can't see any of my filter terms in it, from either filter.

Can someone explain what's going on here?

6 Replies
  • Hello,

I just had a look at it, I don't see any weirdness with the output. it fetches ~65 items, and all filtered results (3) relates to your first set of keywords (no WoW news however).

Results from second filter are the same as first, as expected as the first set's keywords are much more specific than the second one's.

But maybe you have changed something since then?

• I have not changed anything.

My last ping from the pipe was "Facebook Experimenting with Blu-Ray As a Storage Medium".

That title does not contain any of the items on my filters.

Lolo, did you notice if the output from the filters was in any way related to energy topics?

• The output seems normal to me too. The filtered results all relates to your keywords.

However, you mentioned

That title does not contain any of the items on my filters.

But you pipes filter the feeds by item.description. Could it be the problem?

• Hello,

Clearly, you set item.description as the filtering field (which is reasonable). Hence your keyword will be looked for in the lengthy description of the item instead of the title.

Best-

• Lolo, I followed your line of thinking and changed the filter from description to title. Now I get only two results, one that is marginally relevant, and this one...

Microsoft finally tries to de-crap the Windows Store

Clearly this title does not contain anything related to power. What the heck?!

• Hello,

I don't really know what to tell you as the only result I get is "Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, But Don't Know Where It Would Go", which sure fits your keywords.

Actually in the pipe you gave the link to, the fields were still item.description instead of item.title as you said you changed. When I changed those, I get no results. Maybe there was some kind of misunderstanding about what item.description field you changed, so here is what I meant and changed.

Best-

Recent Posts

in Pipes