Yahoo OpenID -> Facebook

Facebook just started supporting OpenID login as an RP. Google's OP supports automatic login (checkid_immediate), but Yahoo does not.

Is there a plan for Yahoo to support automatic login? If so, when? If not, why not?

Thanks.

by
6 Replies
  • Hi Gabriel,

We are investigating support for checkid_immediate. We are weighing the usability/awareness issue of not providing an interstitial to alert the user that they are logging in with their Yahoo! credentials versus the benefit of the silent signin method.

Regards,
    Sabari
    Y! Membership

QUOTE (Gabriel S @ Jun 6 2009, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    see also OpenID Requirements
  • Sabari,
    Thanks for your reply.

To be honest, I don't like the way Facebook auto logs in with OpenID. FB has you link your FB account with an OpenID provider, then next time you go to FB's home page, it will log you in automatically (if you're already signed in to your OpenID provider--if you're not, you don't seem to get ANYTHING). And it seems to need a cookie on each browser on each machine before auto login will work--"Hey it worked at home, why isn't it working here...?" I'm not sure how well it supports multi-users on the same browser (I'm logged in to MyOpenID, my wife's logged in to Google, one of us goes to Facebook--which OpenID is Facebook going to use for auto-login...?)

All other sites (that I've seen) require the user to enter their OpenID URL, and then be signed in (possibly authenticating at their OP first). I'd much rather see that approach. (but as a fallback, I'd rather have SSO, than not).
  • Hello guys!

How do you allow anyone with a facebook/myspace/gmail open ID to sign in using those details on a site which has been created independently..Facebook Layouts
  • Hi Gabriel,

We are still investigating the support for checkid_immediate because we
    need to consider usability, security and privacy issues carefully.

Thanks,
    Yu Wang
    Yahoo! Membership Team
  • http://developers.facebook.com/news.php?blog=1&story=246

Recent Posts

in OpenID General Discussion