Support for the Simple Registration Extension?

I was a bit surprised to find out that the support for simple registration is so limited, and by that I mean nonexistent. Google isn't doing much better, either.

Has this feature been left out intentionally, or is this something that is being worked on?

22 Replies
  • I'd like to know about status of supporting Attribute Exchange. Is it also been left out intentionally or is it being worked on?

besides, is there a way to obtain a BBAuth token in an OpenID request? thx.
  • Support for Simple Reg and A/X is definitely on our roadmap. However, we are still reviewing some of the issues associated with supporting these extensions.

If you are interested in receiving a bbauth token w/ openid authentication, you should review this proposed OpenID extension: http://step2.googlecode.com/svn/spec/openi..._extension.html.

Regards,
    Yahoo! OpenID team
  • QUOTE (Matrix @ Nov 3 2008, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Support for Simple Reg and A/X is definitely on our roadmap. However, we are still reviewing some of the issues associated with supporting these extensions.

If you are interested in receiving a bbauth token w/ openid authentication, you should review this proposed OpenID extension: http://step2.googlecode.com/svn/spec/openi..._extension.html.

Regards,
    Yahoo! OpenID team

We have been anxiously waiting for this enhancement for two months. Can Yahoo at least exchange the email information? Is there any email list that I can subscribe to be notified when this is available?

Thanks.
    Ram
  • Ram,

Once we have completed the testing phase, we will announce next steps on the Yahoo! Developer Network blog (http://developer.yahoo.net/blog/).

Regards,
    Sabari

QUOTE (Venkat R @ Feb 4 2009, 01:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    We have been anxiously waiting for this enhancement for two months. Can Yahoo at least exchange the email information? Is there any email list that I can subscribe to be notified when this is available?

Thanks.
    Ram
  • Hi- the months pass by - any update on this please?
    Like the other posters I just need the user's email address (or nickname / something associate with the user so others can find it).

Many thanks

David

QUOTE (Sabari @ Feb 6 2009, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Ram,

Once we have completed the testing phase, we will announce next steps on the Yahoo! Developer Network blog (http://developer.yahoo.net/blog/).

Regards,
    Sabari
  • QUOTE (Sabari @ Feb 6 2009, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Ram,

Regards,
    Sabari

Wake up Yahoo! Time is money... stop wasting yours and our money
  • Building a portal site or social network that uses Yahoo (or Google) for OpenID is pretty tough unless Attribute Exchange is supported. As it is, if a user can't be identified via a handle/nickname (instead of their Claim ID/URL) and if a user's email isn't provided for communication, the only option is to ask a user to input a nickname/email during registration...which obviously defeats the purpose of using Yahoo for OpenID.

Do you all have a concrete timeline/roadmap for supporting AX? Would love to include Yahoo as an OpenID provider for our site, but can't do it unless AX is supported and I know when this support will be provided.

Thanks!
  • QUOTE (AndresF @ Nov 20 2008, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Building a portal site or social network that uses Yahoo (or Google) for OpenID is pretty tough unless Attribute Exchange is supported. As it is, if a user can't be identified via a handle/nickname (instead of their Claim ID/URL) and if a user's email isn't provided for communication, the only option is to ask a user to input a nickname/email during registration...which obviously defeats the purpose of using Yahoo for OpenID.

Do you all have a concrete timeline/roadmap for supporting AX? Would love to include Yahoo as an OpenID provider for our site, but can't do it unless AX is supported and I know when this support will be provided.

Thanks!

This was posted on the YDN Blog yesterday: Yahoo! OpenID limited testing for Simple Registration support
  • QUOTE (Kari Pätilä @ Nov 21 2008, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    This was posted on the YDN Blog yesterday: Yahoo! OpenID limited testing for Simple Registration support

Saw that, but it still doesn't answer my questions. Looks like Plaxo and Jyte get access to a limited test. But that's all....
  • QUOTE (AndresF @ Nov 23 2008, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Saw that, but it still doesn't answer my questions. Looks like Plaxo and Jyte get access to a limited test. But that's all....

Yes, we would love to get a time line on this feature. Google, on the other hand, have done their own version of OpenID implementation, but at least they support A/X for email ID which is the minimum requirement for identifying a user.
  • The Simple Reg test is currently underway. The success of the test will determine our path forward with regards to opening up sreg for all RP's. Support for A/X will be based on the results of sreg testing.

Regards,
    Sabari / Yahoo! Membership

QUOTE (prem.pillai @ Dec 1 2008, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yes, we would love to get a time line on this feature. Google, on the other hand, have done their own version of OpenID implementation, but at least they support A/X for email ID which is the minimum requirement for identifying a user.
  • When Yahoo! OpenID will be available for social networking developers to integrate to their website?

What else we need to do in addition to create a new OAuth application and assign Read permission on Profile API?

Do you have another Sandbox / Application Editor for Yahoo! OpenID?
  • AndresF is correct.

http://developer.yahoo.net/blog/archives/2...penid_test.html
    Show Yahoo OpenID is limited to 2 strategic partners. Account must be whitelisted before development.

When will Yahoo! OpenID open to Yahoo developer? Not the BBAuth. OAuth that allow to work with YOS and YSP APIs.
  • Hi Vivaty.menlopark,

Yahoo! OpenID as a SSO option for RP's is currently available. The ability for the user to share specific profile data points via the Profile card is currently being tested. If you are having problems integrating with Yahoo! OpenID, please let us know so we can assist you.

Regards,
    Sabari
    Yahoo! Membership

QUOTE (vivaty.menlopark @ Dec 9 2008, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    AndresF is correct.

http://developer.yahoo.net/blog/archives/2...penid_test.html
    Show Yahoo OpenID is limited to 2 strategic partners. Account must be whitelisted before development.

When will Yahoo! OpenID open to Yahoo developer? Not the BBAuth. OAuth that allow to work with YOS and YSP APIs.
  • QUOTE (Sabari @ Dec 17 2008, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yahoo! OpenID as a SSO option for RP's is currently available. The ability for the user to share specific profile data points via the Profile card is currently being tested. If you are having problems integrating with Yahoo! OpenID, please let us know so we can assist you.

Just, please, do not get lost in bureaucracy ;-) Google OpenID already allows me to get e-mail and that's everything I need. That's questions of 16% of users (compared to 84% gmail) but I believe you don't want to loose whose 16%. I love competition ;-)
  • Bump! Without SREG, this service is virtually useless to me. I just need the e-mail address, that's all.
  • QUOTE (Rickard @ Mar 19 2009, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Bump! Without SREG, this service is virtually useless to me. I just need the e-mail address, that's all.

I agree!!
  • Why is SREG advertised in your XRDS document when you don't support it?
  • So... it is August now... any word on how close this is to being public?
  • Yeah so umm, it's been a long time. SREG is proven - it works - you have an implementation.

Release it - My users are asking me why they can't log in with a Yahoo ID.

I have allowed them to Tie the Yahoo Identifier to their existing account, then use it to log in - but this is ridiculous as users have to create an account first.

I am not going to put the Yahoo logo on my site when Yahoo won't support me.

This is a perfect example of why Yahoo is having problems.
  • While I agree with most of the replies here -- Yahoo! should follow Google's lead in sharing at least the name and email address -- I can still see some value in using Yahoo!'s implementation of OpenID. It's very much like Windows Live ID's Web Authentication SDK. Both offer merely an ID, nothing more. With Windows Live, you can then fake access to such info using their UI Controls at http://messenger.mslivelabs.com/ ... Which isn't good enough for most people who just want to skip the registration page via OpenID.

Having said that, if the focus is not on bypassing Registration, but instead to ignore all usernames and passwords for signin -- making sign-in one click -- that's when OpenID is extremely useful. Google and others have just taken it one step farther, in helping eliminate some of the Registration form.

I suppose I'll break my sign-up page in two: on the left side is "Register with your Google Account", while on the right is "Email Address", "First Name", and "Last Name", and below those 3 fields is another box with two parts. The first says, "Sign in with [Yahoo!, Windows Live!, etc.] while the second part says "Username" and "Password" for those who just want to make a local account. There'd have to be a big "OR" between each column mentioned.

Or I could make it really simple -- Google or nothing. After all, if they have a Google account, there's not much more I have to do to create their account. Anything else is just a "sign in", which still needs an account to be locally associated or created. In fact, with a Google button, the registration concept can be ignored entirely, and I can just say "Sign in with Google".

I just wish it was easier to support multiple services with info like Google currently provides. The trouble I'm now considering is how even once they login with one provider, they may want to associate other providers' accounts with their first one, meaning I'd have to merge local accunts if someone signs in with two IDs but wants one account. Oh for the good ol' days of login and password :P
  • We are testing A/X support. You can request your domain to be added to the temporary access list by emailing openid-feedback@yahoo-inc.com.

Regards,
    Sabari Devadoss
    Yahoo! Membership

QUOTE (Louis St-Amour @ Sep 6 2009, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    While I agree with most of the replies here -- Yahoo! should follow Google's lead in sharing at least the name and email address -- I can still see some value in using Yahoo!'s implementation of OpenID. It's very much like Windows Live ID's Web Authentication SDK. Both offer merely an ID, nothing more. With Windows Live, you can then fake access to such info using their UI Controls at http://messenger.mslivelabs.com/ ... Which isn't good enough for most people who just want to skip the registration page via OpenID.

Having said that, if the focus is not on bypassing Registration, but instead to ignore all usernames and passwords for signin -- making sign-in one click -- that's when OpenID is extremely useful. Google and others have just taken it one step farther, in helping eliminate some of the Registration form.

I suppose I'll break my sign-up page in two: on the left side is "Register with your Google Account", while on the right is "Email Address", "First Name", and "Last Name", and below those 3 fields is another box with two parts. The first says, "Sign in with [Yahoo!, Windows Live!, etc.] while the second part says "Username" and "Password" for those who just want to make a local account. There'd have to be a big "OR" between each column mentioned.

Or I could make it really simple -- Google or nothing. After all, if they have a Google account, there's not much more I have to do to create their account. Anything else is just a "sign in", which still needs an account to be locally associated or created. In fact, with a Google button, the registration concept can be ignored entirely, and I can just say "Sign in with Google".

I just wish it was easier to support multiple services with info like Google currently provides. The trouble I'm now considering is how even once they login with one provider, they may want to associate other providers' accounts with their first one, meaning I'd have to merge local accunts if someone signs in with two IDs but wants one account. Oh for the good ol' days of login and password :P

Recent Posts

in OpenID General Discussion