Something's Wrong with Yahoo OpenID

I'm currently developing my app to integrate with Yahoo OpenID. I have been noticing that many times, when I redirect the client to Yahoo's servers, Yahoo's webpages don't return. After thinking that I was doing something wrong, I tried another service (http://www.packagetrackr.com/) that works with Yahoo's OpenID, and it too displayed the same problems.

How you can reproduce the problems:

Visit http://www.packagetrackr.com/ or any other site that supports Yahoo's OpenID. Then try to login many times (it doesn't happen every time).

So please, if someone from Yahoo is reading this, fix the problems. I really want to launch with Yahoo support as well.

(oh and yes, this is a Yahoo-only issue because Google works just fine with the same exact app)

by
10 Replies
  • Hi,

The site you provide doesn't work. It says this message:

"Sign in failed via OpenID. Error occurred while sending a direct message or getting the response."

For us to trouble-shoot, can you please tell us at what
    step it fails and send us the complete HTTP request
    and response headers?

Thanks,
    Yu Wang
    Yahoo! Membership Team
  • First of all, as I said please try it multiple times...

Secondly, you can try ANY site that uses openID (e.g. stackoverflow.com). I just picked one out of a hat...

QUOTE (omiga @ May 2 2010, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi,

The site you provide doesn't work. It says this message:

"Sign in failed via OpenID. Error occurred while sending a direct message or getting the response."

For us to trouble-shoot, can you please tell us at what
    step it fails and send us the complete HTTP request
    and response headers?

Thanks,
    Yu Wang
    Yahoo! Membership Team
  • Hi,

Any site throwing random errors doesn't give us any clue where it
    goes wrong because from Yahoo! OP's point of view, we already send
    the assertion back to the RP and we don't know how RP handles it
    and why it fails unless we are given more information from the RP.

Since you have control of your site, you can log more information
    to facilitate trouble-shooting. Once you see any such error happens,
    can you please tell us exactly what the error is and if possible
    the HTTP request and response parameters? That will be helpful.

Thanks,
    Yu Wang
  • I see you may have misunderstood me. It's not the site that gives the error. Rather, the connection fails _after_ the user is handed over to Yahoo's URL endpoints. I posted a simple video on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPuRxF5X3sA) to demonstrated the problem in action. As you may notice, the url I was at is the url for yahoo's servers...

As I've mentioned before, the problem is not exclusive to any specific website, and doesn't happen every time (which is why I suggested that you try to log in many times).
  • Hi,

Thanks a lot for producing the demonstration video. I notice that this happens
    with the Google Chrome browser only. I have tried it and when I see the error
    happens, I just reload the page and then I can go through the flow successfully.

I've also tried with Firefox, IE and Opera and cannot reproduce this problem
    by repeately signing in, so I think it is most likely Google Chrome browser's
    issue only. I've also searched the Net and found that this type of error
    (Error 2 (net:ERR_FAILED): Unknown error.) has plagued users for a long time:
    http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=89

Please let us know if you can reproduce this issue in non-Chrome browsers.

Thanks,
    Yu Wang
  • Okay, tried it many times in IE. Although the error rate is somewhat reduced, it's still pretty bad...

Here's the video for Internet Explorer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmQeSqYnpfY)

Especially important is at time 1:40 (direct link to 1:40) where it clearly fails while showing Yahoo's URL on top.

Also, when I "just reload the page" (in chrome) it actually partially breaks the flow. It will manage to transmit the OpenID login, but will fail to include the oAuth part of it [my application also asks for access to email]...
  • Hi,

There may be some SSL configuration that is not compatible with Windows SSL
    implementation on some of our servers. We've taken down them to investigate.

Thanks a lot for reporting this. We'll send an update when it is fixed or
    when we find a workaround.

Thanks,
    Yu Wang
  • That's wonderful. Preliminary testing I did today shows that indeed, all is good.
  • Hi,

We think the SSL configuration issue has been fixed and we have
    put those boxes back to service. Please let us know if you see
    this issue again and if so can you please let us know roughly
    the time you see the problem and what your browser is.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks,
    Yu Wang
    • E
    • Oct 16, 2010
    hi
    i'm the rigional yaoo clint on this pass. What was all the request that you were being ask to do? Reading your conv. the perdon is trying to hack my account. Is that's so? pls advice!!!

Recent Posts

in OpenID General Discussion