managing the refresh access token workflow

I'm looking for advice on how to manage the expired/refresh token flow. In other words, assuming I have all the proper data stored (e.g., oauth_session_handle), what is the proper (i.e., most efficient) method for learning if the token is expired, then refreshing if needed? So far I see a few options, none of which feel perfect:

Method #1: Keep track ourselves

This means store as (for example) 'time_expired', and calculate it based on time of access token storage + 3600 seconds (well, + oauth_expires_in). Then, if current time exceeds this then it's expired, therefore refresh token before doing anything else. Possible errors, sure, so may fallback to the method #2 described below.

Method #2: Double query, scan response for token_expire error code on failure

This essentially means run queries twice, sometimes. If it failed but emitted the token_expire error then refresh and try again.

Method #3: ???

I'm new to OAuth so could be overlooking something simple but the OAuth API I use (PHP PECL/OAuth) does not appear to offer an obvious solution, so maybe people here have advice and/or ideas. Also if you have ideas for how said API could be improved for this (or any) task, I'm sure that'd be appreciated too.

by
1 Reply
  • Hi Phil,

I would suggest going with method 1 with one minor change:
    You should probably request a new access token a few minutes
    before it expires to allow for time difference between
    your server and Yahoo! OAuth server.

Thanks,
    Yu Wang
    Yahoo! Membership Team

Recent Posts

in OAuth General Discussion YDN SDKs