Web Browser for TV Widget?

Looking for available TV Widgets that implement a standard Web browser like Safari, Opera, Firefox, Chrome, or IE.
The aim is to interact with the TV like the opera web browser available for the Wii platform.
Thanks

10 Replies
  • QUOTE (cgonzalez509 @ Jul 13 2010, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Looking for available TV Widgets that implement a standard Web browser like Safari, Opera, Firefox, Chrome, or IE.
    The aim is to interact with the TV like the opera web browser available for the Wii platform.
    Thanks

Wait for Google TV... &l
  • QUOTE (WidgetRealm @ Jul 14 2010, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Wait for Google TV... &l-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (cgonzalez509 @ Jul 13 2010, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks

I have a KDL55HX800 Sony TV and it would only seem natural for the widgets to provide a Web browser. I must be dumb as a rock but no one
    wants to touch this one. What gives?
  • QUOTE (John @ Sep 7 2010, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I have a KDL55HX800 Sony TV and it would only seem natural for the widgets to provide a Web browser. I must be dumb as a rock but no one
    wants to touch this one. What gives?

I think it's because the answer is a simple one -- there is no web browser on the Yahoo! Connected TV platform. Why Yahoo! decided to not implement a web browser is something only they know, but I suspect having an TV remote control as the standard input device may be a major reason. This may be a business opportunity...
  • QUOTE (jsl4tv @ Sep 8 2010, 01:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I think it's because the answer is a simple one -- there is no web browser on the Yahoo! Connected TV platform. Why Yahoo! decided to not implement a web browser is something only they know, but I suspect having an TV remote control as the standard input device may be a major reason. This may be a business opportunity...

Perhaps, it has some to do with Yahoo's business model. If they create a web browser for the Connected TV platform there may be less demand for specific Internet Apps (Widgets). So by having an Internet App that only performs a specific function, they will be able to sell more apps (once the App Store opens)... Just a thought.
  • Or even more simply. Browsing a webpage from 10+ foot away is a horrible user experience and even more so for the people watching the other person browse that webpage... Maybe the reason the WebTV and GoogleTV are struggling to find a market (other than the lack of content deals).

Would you rather browse a webpage from your tablet/latop or from your TV (with or without people watching TV with you)?
  • QUOTE (WidgetRealm @ Dec 17 2010, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Or even more simply. Browsing a webpage from 10+ foot away is a horrible user experience and even more so for the people watching the other person browse that webpage... Maybe the reason the WebTV and GoogleTV are struggling to find a market (other than the lack of content deals).

Would you rather browse a webpage from your tablet/latop or from your TV (with or without people watching TV with you)?

I agree that browsing a webpage not designed for a TV is usually a bad user experience, but web pages designed for a TV need not be. It's not the web browser itself that creates a bad user experience. Your not making a distinction between a web page and a web browser.

A web browser can be developed for the TV that is perfectly usable using only directional keys, and a small keyboard.

The main draw to internet enabled TV's are the ability to stream video content from the internet to your TV. I would rather have a browser available, even if it does give a bad user experience, and have access to all the content already available, then to wait for a widget to be developed.
  • Only for Samsung TVs, you can try this application (NO widget) : NetSurf browser http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/samygo/v...92c45dc9f84e162

I love it.

Raul
    -------
  • I agree... I WANT A WEB BROWSER for my TV. I'd like to be able to use my internet connected TV any way I'd like and not be limited to all those pprimative apps.

QUOTE (Steve @ 23 Dec 2010 8:23 AM) QUOTE (WidgetRealm @ Dec 17 2010, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> Or even more simply. Browsing a webpage from 10+ foot away is a horrible user experience and even more so for the people watching the other person browse that webpage... Maybe the reason the WebTV and GoogleTV are struggling to find a market (other than the lack of content deals).

I agree that browsing a webpage not designed for a TV is usually a bad user experience, but web pages designed for a TV need not be. It's not the web browser itself that creates a bad user experience. Your not making a distinction between a web page and a web browser.

A web browser can be developed for the TV that is perfectly usable using only directional keys, and a small keyboard.

The main draw to internet enabled TV's are the ability to stream video content from the internet to your TV. I would rather have a browser available, even if it does give a bad user experience, and have access to all the content already available, then to wait for a widget to be developed.
  • FF to 2013 ... I cant believe Yahoo still hasnt provided a browser ... I do have a need to a browser and will use it. A smart tv is not smart enough in my opinion w/o a full browser, considering google & vizio sell streaming boxes that contain a full browser how do you argue with that. google tv is the way to go I guess!

I will just have to return my "Yahoo Connected" TV now that I know for sure Yahoo is never going to provide a browser and buy a not-so-smart tv and spend the diff on google tv! That will actually be a cheaper solution as well and should a problem arise I don't have to junk my tv!

Recent Posts

in Non-Technical / Business - Yahoo! TV Widgets