Turning on the Revenue

So I have a client that is interested in building a widget but it only makes sense if they've able to get some revenues out of it.

Obviously there's 2(3ish) ways to do this.
Fee based - monthly or transaction based
Advertising.

We're looking at using an ad model which raises a few questions
1. Are there any business issues with doing some sort of ad based widget?
2. Does Yahoo! have any plans of creating an ad system for TV widgets? (I kind of have to believe there is but I could totally be wrong).

If we did a fee based service.
1. Are there any business or technical issues with doing a login or fee based system?

by
1 Reply
  • Hi Mike,

Yahoo! does intend to sell advertising across our own content and that of 3rd parties. This is not likely until the latter part of 2010/early 2011.
    This does not prevent your client from selling advertising directly within their content and a single sponsor might be a good initial option.

You can also look at a transaction based model and SSL is supported within each widget.

Partners such as ebay and Amazon redirect users to the PC to set up accounts and then payment can be taken at the back-end once this is in place.

Shirlene

QUOTE (Mike R. @ Jan 13 2010, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    So I have a client that is interested in building a widget but it only makes sense if they've able to get some revenues out of it.

Obviously there's 2(3ish) ways to do this.
    Fee based - monthly or transaction based
    Advertising.

We're looking at using an ad model which raises a few questions
    1. Are there any business issues with doing some sort of ad based widget?
    2. Does Yahoo! have any plans of creating an ad system for TV widgets? (I kind of have to believe there is but I could totally be wrong).

If we did a fee based service.
    1. Are there any business or technical issues with doing a login or fee based system?

Recent Posts

in Non-Technical / Business - Yahoo! TV Widgets