Limit widget to specific CE

Does the widget gallery have logic to only display a widget for specific CE manufacturers? For example, could I limit my widget to only be show in the widget gallery if a user has a Samsung TV set?

Thanks

by
12 Replies
  • QUOTE (Steve @ Dec 7 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Does the widget gallery have logic to only display a widget for specific CE manufacturers? For example, could I limit my widget to only be show in the widget gallery if a user has a Samsung TV set?

Thanks

Yep! When uploading your widget you are given the option to specify the OEM.

-Jeremy
  • I have some questions as below:

1. Does each OEM has its own proprietary widget in Yahoo Gallery?

2. After passing Yahoo QA, if the widget passes only Samsung and Sony while failing on LG and Vzio, is it still posted in Yahoo Gallery for consumers with notice or filter available to Samsung and Sony or not until it is passed for all OEMs ?

3. If posted in the condition of 2 above, how is it notified to consumer ?

Thanks in advance for answering the questions...

WY
  • So AFAIK the OEM's can have their own widgets (I don't really get this question). Perhaps instead of each OEM has their own widgets you mean does each OEM have their own gallery? The answer to that is "yes".
  • QUOTE (Mike R. @ Jan 21 2010, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    So AFAIK the OEM's can have their own widgets (I don't really get this question). Perhaps instead of each OEM has their own widgets you mean does each OEM have their own gallery? The answer to that is "yes".

Yes, your interpretation on my obscure queston is correct. Thanks for the answer.
    I wonder if you have any idea on my second question above.

And I have some more questions.
    1. Is OEM's own gallery maintained by Yahoo or by OEMs with their own servers ?
    2. If a consumer has Samsung Set, can he access Sony gallery and try to use any widget from there ?
    3. Does a consumer use different widgets to access yahoo gallery and OEM's gallery ?
    4. Does a user need to have different login ID to access each gallery(Yahoo gallery, each OEM's gallery) ?

Thanks in advance for letting me know how gallery are maintained and viewed...

WY
  • QUOTE (Woong Young @ Jan 21 2010, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    1. Is OEM's own gallery maintained by Yahoo or by OEMs with their own servers ?
    2. If a consumer has Samsung Set, can he access Sony gallery and try to use any widget from there ?
    3. Does a consumer use different widgets to access yahoo gallery and OEM's gallery ?
    4. Does a user need to have different login ID to access each gallery(Yahoo gallery, each OEM's gallery) ?

1.) Each OEM is just a separate "view" into the same gallery. Yahoo! owns and maintains the widget gallery servers.

2.) No, a widget from the Sony gallery would not work on a Samsung set. The security keys would prevent this.

3.) See #1. There's only one gallery, so this question is answered by that.

4.) Same as #3.
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ Jan 22 2010, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    1.) Each OEM is just a separate "view" into the same gallery. Yahoo! owns and maintains the widget gallery servers.

2.) No, a widget from the Sony gallery would not work on a Samsung set. The security keys would prevent this.

3.) See #1. There's only one gallery, so this question is answered by that.

4.) Same as #3.

Thanks for the answers.

One more question:
    When/what/how/by whom(OEM, Yahoo???) the security key is input into a widget ? May I know of mechanism for this key used ?

Thanks once again.
  • QUOTE (Woong Young @ Jan 23 2010, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    One more question:
    When/what/how/by whom(OEM, Yahoo???) the security key is input into a widget ? May I know of mechanism for this key used ?

Can you give me one practical reason why that information would be useful to a non-malicious developer? ;)-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ Jan 24 2010, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Can you give me one practical reason why that information would be useful to a non-malicious developer? ;)WY
  • One more clarification:

A consumer who has Samsung Set is able to download a widget from Sony gallery but it would not work due to the security keys.
    Or
    A consumer who has Samsung Set is NOT able to download a widget from Sony gallery at all.

Which sentence is correct ?

Thanks,
    WY
  • Very simply. The decision to allow your widget is up to each OEM. Therefore, something that Sony might allow might now fly on Samsung. It also comes down to who is getting the support calls for the Widgets not working on the TV devices (hint: it is not Yahoo!). Therefore, each OEM runs, checks, and approves the widget before letting into their Gallery as they do not want to field the Customer Service calls for "crappy" widgets.

Correct Answer:
    "A consumer who has Samsung Set is NOT able to download a widget from Sony gallery at all."
  • I also have a question: Is there any way for a TV in developer mode to get widgets that are not yet approved by a company (LG for example) but were submitted for approval by the developer ?

Thank you

Sorin
  • QUOTE (Sorin @ Feb 4 2010, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I also have a question: Is there any way for a TV in developer mode to get widgets that are not yet approved by a company (LG for example) but were submitted for approval by the developer ?

Thank you

Sorin

Are you referring to widgets that you wrote, or someone else?

If it's a widget you wrote then you can definitely test your own. If it's a widget from another developer, then the only way to download the widget is if you know the developer and they add your username & dev code to an the uploaded widget.

Recent Posts

in Non-Technical / Business - Yahoo! TV Widgets