Building non-web application?

I'm currently building a Windows-based program that is used to tag all sort of media files. MP3s, videos, and DRM-enabled tracks.

The thing is, when you download those files -- be it legally or not, but let's pretend the end-users are all good people -- they don't often come with complete tags. Any song could have tags giving various informations about it, like composer, copyrights, BPM, album cover, and so on. For example, the ID3v2 tags provide a way to tell the terms of use of the tagged file. But that's only an example.

My app would allow one to tag their files to a very deep degree of detail, but would primarily be used by end-users who see many non-tagged files from the net and would like to tag them appropriately.

My app will at least access Discogs, Last.fm and MusicBrainz to retrieve/guess information about a specific track. I though it could come handy to add Yahoo! to the possible list of data gathering sources...

But apparently, it sounds from the API key generation page that it's only possible to connect websites to the data. Am i wrong?

by
3 Replies
  • QUOTE (David C @ Oct 25 2008, 03:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'm currently building a Windows-based program that is used to tag all sort of media files. MP3s, videos, and DRM-enabled tracks.

The thing is, when you download those files -- be it legally or not, but let's pretend the end-users are all good people -- they don't often come with complete tags. Any song could have tags giving various informations about it, like composer, copyrights, BPM, album cover, and so on. For example, the ID3v2 tags provide a way to tell the terms of use of the tagged file. But that's only an example.

My app would allow one to tag their files to a very deep degree of detail, but would primarily be used by end-users who see many non-tagged files from the net and would like to tag them appropriately.

My app will at least access Discogs, Last.fm and MusicBrainz to retrieve/guess information about a specific track. I though it could come handy to add Yahoo! to the possible list of data gathering sources...

But apparently, it sounds from the API key generation page that it's only possible to connect websites to the data. Am i wrong?

You are wrong. I'm currently writting an application to fix/add tags to my personal mp3 collection. My app is a windows based .Net application. You can have the windows app make calls via http to retieve information in XML format. Here's a code snip:

Dim xmlDoc As New XmlDocument()
    xmlDoc.Load(String.Format("http://us.music.yahooapis.com/artist/v1/list/search/artist/{0}?appid={1}", txtArtist.Text.ToLower(), appID))

This code snip will load an xml document with a list of artists that match whatever was entered in my Artist textbox.

The appID is something that yahoo will give you after telling them a bit about why you are using their webservice. Pretty easy...took less than 5 minutes.

I'm not sure if yahoo offers a wsdl to connect to their webservice. I haven't looked into that yet. If they don't, I'll most likely write a .Net wrapper class to encapsulate some of the calls to the webservice. I would gladly give this out to anybody that wants it.

Another thing to note is that yahoo will only allow 5000 calls a day to the webservice.
  • QUOTE (Brian A @ Oct 25 2008, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Dim xmlDoc As New XmlDocument()
    xmlDoc.Load(String.Format("http://us.music.yahooapis.com/artist/v1/list/search/artist/{0}?appid={1}", txtArtist.Text.ToLower(), appID))

I'm using C# .net myself, so this snippet is useful, even if it requires "translation" ;-)

QUOTE (Brian A @ Oct 25 2008, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Another thing to note is that yahoo will only allow 5000 calls a day to the webservice.

Afaik, they allow 5000 calls per day and per IP, so if releasing the app, each end user will be able to make 5000 requests per day...

Thanks for the hints !
  • You can find a C# api and a saple plugin for MdiaPortal to use yahoo music videos : http://code.google.com/p/mp-yahoo-music-vi.../downloads/list
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in Music API