Too many thread for Yahoo Comet-Style Notification problem

As Comet-Style is long-live HTTP, it means that my application has to start a new thread in order to wait the notifications from Yahoo notification Server. Moreover, the Comet-Style address url is <notification server>/v1/pushchannel/{primaryLoginId} which is specifics via primaryLoginId. It means that my application has to create one thread per one logged in user. If there are 3000 users logged in, my application will have 3000 threads????

I'm not quite sure that the 
above implementation is good, please suggest.

Thank a lot,
Tae       

1 Reply
  • I'm developping a wcf service based on 200-300 users maximum and what you describe is the implementation I picked.
    So far it works great. 

I think you could avoid handling X thread, and let the async http calls do them for you (you'd have to set a dynamic callback method to retrieve results though)
    But.. is it worth it? The architecture of the service is really clean with 1thead/user.. 

Ohh, and btw, if you're about to make a wcf service, Do not forget to specify the 
    <system.net>
        <connectionManagement>
    <add address="*" maxconnection="1000"/>
        </connectionManagement>
    </system.net>So you can have multiple long-live HTTP calls simultaneously. (I spent one day on this  ><)

Hope it helps (and please, let me know if you choose an other implementation)

QUOTE(Tanyawith Wittayaudom @ 27 Oct 2011 4:09 AM)
    As Comet-Style is long-live HTTP, it means that my application has to start a new thread in order to wait the notifications from Yahoo notification Server. Moreover, the Comet-Style address url is <notification server>/v1/pushchannel/{primaryLoginId} which is specifics via primaryLoginId. It means that my application has to create one thread per one logged in user. If there are 3000 users logged in, my application will have 3000 threads????

I'm not quite sure that the 
    above implementation is good, please suggest.

Thank a lot,
    Tae       

Recent Posts

in Messenger IM SDK