WIdget Example Request

Hello,

I think all of the users on this forum are very excited for to develop and use Yahoo TV Widgets, However, the examples are lacking. I know that the team is working to make one available.

Is there any other samples that we can look at in the mean time that aren't under any restrictions? I think at the very basic one that points to a web page, uses some images, links, and authentication would be helpful, to me at least.

Even a simple tutorial on creating a widget from scratch would help. The Hello World one was great, but I think there should be a part 2. For example, "Now that you have your hello world widget working, let's add an image icon to the viewport, then the sidebar. After that we'll show you how to get dynamic data to show in the sidebar.".

I am not a developer so maybe I am missing some things here. I often hear how companies want people and mass consumers to start using their tools to help gain critical mass. However, it's hard to do so without working examples, etc, unless you are a pro.

Again, this is an exciting platform but just adding a couple of little things would make it much easier for newbies and perhaps others to start creating the next application marketplace, but on TV's.

thanks
jason

by
6 Replies
  • Please don't double post the same topic. The same people (in general) supporting the forums are the same people writing you samples, so the less we have to do in overhead here gives us more time for the things you are asking for.

As to sample widgets, there will be several in depth tutorials which will be posted very soon. The team is heads down working on getting detailed API docs (among 100 other tasks) out at the moment and my hope is that the tutorials will be finished shortly after that.
  • you can delete this post then..
  • QUOTE (jvalal @ Jan 10 2010, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    you can delete this post then..

I already deleted the other post you made exactly identical to this one with a different title. This one is fine, by itself that is. ;)-Jeremy
  • Hi jason,

A beginner's tutorial on how to build a TV Widget is provided in the Quick Start Guide here:

http://developer.yahoo.com/connectedtv/quickstart/

You can find sample widgets (template, snippet sample, and video sample) in the following location after you have installed the WDK:

$HOME/TVWidgets/Konfabulator-Latest-540/TV/Widgets

We're working to provide more sample widgets and more coding examples for the documentation and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Kelly
  • Hello all,

sorry, ,but my folder doesn't contain the samples..am I missing them?

http://screencast.com/t/N2EwMGIwMjM

thanks
  • QUOTE (jvalal @ Jan 18 2010, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hello all,

sorry, ,but my folder doesn't contain the samples..am I missing them?

http://screencast.com/t/N2EwMGIwMjM

thanks

If you followed the instructions she linked above, you would know you need to start the simulator before that directory is populated.

-Jeremy

Recent Posts

in Getting Started / Beginners - Yahoo! TV Widgets