Unable to run WDK 1.2 VM in Virtual Box

The instructions say to use VirtualBox 3.2.8. The current version (and the one I have installed) is 4.04. The instructions also say to use the ubuntu_10.04_ctv.vmdk file directly, but Virtual Box 4.04 does not recognize the vmdk file extension.

Does this mean I have to uninstall VirtualBox 4.04, find an old copy of 3.2.8, and install that before I can use the provided VM? More importantly, why didn't you do a Virtual Box export on the VM, which uses a standard format and would work across versions?

If anyone has managed to get this working, please tell me what you did. For all I know VirtualBox 3.2.8 doesn't recognize vmdk files either.

Jack

15 Replies
  • QUOTE (jackwilliambell @ Mar 17 2011, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The instructions say to use VirtualBox 3.2.8. The current version (and the one I have installed) is 4.04. The instructions also say to use the ubuntu_10.04_ctv.vmdk file directly, but Virtual Box 4.04 does not recognize the vmdk file extension.

Does this mean I have to uninstall VirtualBox 4.04, find an old copy of 3.2.8, and install that before I can use the provided VM? More importantly, why didn't you do a Virtual Box export on the VM, which uses a standard format and would work across versions?

If anyone has managed to get this working, please tell me what you did. For all I know VirtualBox 3.2.8 doesn't recognize vmdk files either.

Jack

When you mention instructions do you mean what we have here?
  • We are having issues with the Simulator returning the error below every time the simulator is started after the initial "simulator update" script is run. It affects every version of the simulator in the new SDK. We have installed the older SDK and have no issues with the permissions. If you delete the folder, the simulator starts right up, but when you try to run it again - no dice. Please advise - we would really like to use the new SDK...

Ubuntu 9.10
    VirtualBox: 3.1.2 r56127

CODE
    You do not have the proper files in your /home/brian/TVWidgets/Konfabulator-Vizio/TV directory. Please manually fix it or remove the /home/brian/TVWidgets/Konfabulator-Vizio/TV directory and rerun this scrip
  • QUOTE (WidgetRealm @ Mar 18 2011, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    We are having issues with the Simulator returning the error below every time the simulator is started after the initial "simulator update" script is run. It affects every version of the simulator in the new SDK. We have installed the older SDK and have no issues with the permissions. If you delete the folder, the simulator starts right up, but when you try to run it again - no dice. Please advise - we would really like to use the new SDK...

Ubuntu 9.10
    VirtualBox: 3.1.2 r56127

CODE
    You do not have the proper files in your /home/brian/TVWidgets/Konfabulator-Vizio/TV directory. Please manually fix it or remove the /home/brian/TVWidgets/Konfabulator-Vizio/TV directory and rerun this scrip

Sounds like maybe you closed the terminal before it was done. That message can be caused by pressing the close window button and prematurely exiting the wdk before it was done cleaning up. Try completely removing the simulator out of ~/TVWidgets (not just the data dir but the entire sim) and running it again.
  • Yep tried that. Closing the window on the old simulator in this build does not cause that problem...
  • QUOTE (WidgetRealm @ Mar 18 2011, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yep tried that. Closing the window on the old simulator in this build does not cause that problem...

We are copying a few more files than we used to upon exiting of the engine on first run and after simulator update. I am honestly not sure if something is wrong with the actual download from the gallery or if the copy after exiting has not finished. Can you please do the following:

1) delete ~/TVWidgets/Konfabulator-Vizio directory
    2) start the simulator using the TV Widgets / Vizio / Vizio Simulator launcher
    3) wait for the engine to be completely loaded (about 30-45 sec depending on your system)
    4) while the Simulator window has focus hit the ESC key on your keyboard
    5) Wait for an Information dialog to pop-up: "Simulator has exited. Press OK to close Terminal". This can take a bit of time depending on your VMs file system access performance. Here we are copying a bunch of files into a back up location.
    6) Hit the OK button which should close the terminal window.

Then start again.

If you are still seeing the issues can you please go into your ~/TVWidgets/Konfabulator-Vizio/TV directory and issue a
    # find .
    command which should result in something like this:

CODE
    .                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
    ./Bootstrap
    ./Bootstrap/package.xml
    ./Bootstrap/Source
    ./Bootstrap/Source/Gallery.js
    ./Bootstrap/Source/Bootstrap.js
    ./Bootstrap/Source/Locale.js
    ./platform.js
    ./Widgets
    ./Widgets/DL-phR9lZ.com.yahoo.widgets.tv.container-1.4.1.E-install.widget
    ./Widgets/DL-OLeu5P.com.yahoo.widgets.tv.packages.platform.common-1.1.2-install.widget.package
    ./Widgets/DL-hTEC2o.com.yahoo.widgets.tv.packages.framework-1.3.18.E-install.widget.package
    ./Widgets/DL-YjU33b.com.yahoo.widgets.tv.widgetgallery-1.3.22-install.widget
    ./Widgets/DL-26kZpC.com.yahoo.widgets.tv.packages.images-1.1.2-install.widget.package
    ./Widgets/DL-k4XG6w.com.yahoo.widgets.tv.videosample-2.0.0-install.widget
    ./Widgets/DL-M1OHcM.com.yahoo.widgets.tv.toolbox-1.3.0-install.widget
    ./Widgets/DL-tnLnz1.com.yahoo.widgets.tv.settings-1.3.3-install.widget
    ./Widgets/DL-eJEWeh.com.yahoo.widgets.tv.snippetsample-1.1.1-install.widget
    ./Widgets/DL-BL7Pqi.com.yahoo.widgets.tv.template-1.2.0-install.widget
    ./Widgets/DL-CuwE13.com.yahoo.widgets.tv.wdkupdate-0.0.4-install.widget
    ./default.widget
  • QUOTE (jackwilliambell @ Mar 17 2011, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jack

I was able to import this into VirtualBox 4.0.4.

1. Download and extract the vmdk from the 7zip archive.
    2. Open VirtualBox
    3. Select New and hit Continue
    4. Give it any name
    5. Select Linux and Ubuntu for Operating System and Version, respectively.
    6. Select the memory allocation and hit Continue
    7. Select the "Use existing hard disk" radio button
    8. Browse to the vmdk file
    9. Select Continue and Done

That worked for me.
  • The above process works. This needs to be posted very (very) prominently on forums.

Can the new simulator be fixed to work like the old simulator? It appears any time you close the simulator on a first run by the terminal window the Simulator then has to be cleared and re-setup... :b5) try to load the simulator
  • I should also add that even though I got this to work on a newer version of VirtualBox that it's not tacit support for that version. We have optimized and tested the wdk to run in a specific configuration (i.e., VirtualBox 3.2.8 in this case). We can not guarantee compatibility if any software updates are made to the vm player or ubuntu.
  • One question - I previously had devwidgets created and installed - with this update, I had to move them to my network - however even though the VM Ubuntu is telling me it has network connection - I cannot access my network at all

Any thoughts?
  • QUOTE (ph3n0m @ Mar 25 2011, 06:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    One question - I previously had devwidgets created and installed - with this update, I had to move them to my network - however even though the VM Ubuntu is telling me it has network connection - I cannot access my network at all

Any thoughts?

Depending on your what vm player you're using, you should be able to install some tools that would enable you to drag and drop to your vm or create a mount point. Also, a co-worker was telling me that sometimes when he connects to a vpn his vm player loses connectivity, but then he restarts his player and it's fine. I use vmware and virtual box but have not experienced that.
  • HI all

As a follow up - is there anyway to login to the Ubuntu as root - as I need to get smb activated so I can copy back in my devwidgets
  • QUOTE (Benjamin Toll @ Mar 28 2011, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Sudo?

unfortunately the ubuntu snapshot Yahoo provides doesnt allow sudo as root - you can only login as "user"
  • QUOTE (ph3n0m @ Apr 5 2011, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    unfortunately the ubuntu snapshot Yahoo provides doesnt allow sudo as root - you can only login as "user"

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
  • got it sorted - just zipped them, uploaded to a remote server and re-downloaded - easy :)all that panic for nothing
  • We cover how to do this in a tutorial. http://forums.widgetrealm.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=997

Check out Step 6 - this will guide you through setting up the mount point and establishing a linked folder between your OS's.

Recent Posts

in Getting Started / Beginners - Yahoo! TV Widgets