Snippet shows name change but then defaults

I followed the media player or video player tutorial, getting the feel for stuff so far. Problem is when I have my widgets in the /devwidgets/....and I have renamed as instructed and even edited the xml file. I reset the simulator, I open it, I seen it it updating running through 1 through 11 updates, I see the flash of my snippet name on the image, but then it changes back to Mediaplayer Sample name?

by
  • L
  • Jun 11, 2010
3 Replies
  • QUOTE (L @ Jun 11 2010, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I followed the media player or video player tutorial, getting the feel for stuff so far. Problem is when I have my widgets in the /devwidgets/....and I have renamed as instructed and even edited the xml file. I reset the simulator, I open it, I seen it it updating running through 1 through 11 updates, I see the flash of my snippet name on the image, but then it changes back to Mediaplayer Sample name?

Do you see your widget in the dock by just starting/stopping the Simulator without a reset?

It sounds like you are overwriting the media player sample widget: com.yahoo.widgets.tv.mediaplayersample.widget
    and when the reset operation happens, the media player sample widget is downloaded again and is reset to its original state.

http://developer.yahoo.com/connectedtv/qui...pment_Directory

Try creating a completely separate widget from scratch in /devwidgets with a unique name and id.

Hope this helps,
    Kelly
  • QUOTE (TVWidgetDocs @ Jun 11 2010, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Do you see your widget in the dock by just starting/stopping the Simulator without a reset?

It sounds like you are overwriting the media player sample widget: com.yahoo.widgets.tv.mediaplayersample.widget
    and when the reset operation happens, the media player sample widget is downloaded again and is reset to its original state.

http://developer.yahoo.com/connectedtv/qui...pment_Directory

Try creating a completely separate widget from scratch in /devwidgets with a unique name and id.

Hope this helps,
    Kelly

I am seeing the same problem. I've made the name unique - and not the same as the videosample - changing both the company name and app name, both in the directory, and in the widget.xml.
    I then went a step further and changed the name of the label string in both snippet.js and Localizable.strings for the app - and still see the same, the app loads after a reset, shows my text in the dock, then switches. Once it switches - it appears to stay this way until I do a simulator reset.

Could it be the fact that the View class names and JS filenames are identical to those of the sample widget? Do those localized classes need to be uniquely namespaced in some way?

Thanks,
    Danny
  • QUOTE (Danny Staple @ Sep 23 2010, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I am seeing the same problem. I've made the name unique - and not the same as the videosample - changing both the company name and app name, both in the directory, and in the widget.xml.
    I then went a step further and changed the name of the label string in both snippet.js and Localizable.strings for the app - and still see the same, the app loads after a reset, shows my text in the dock, then switches. Once it switches - it appears to stay this way until I do a simulator reset.

Could it be the fact that the View class names and JS filenames are identical to those of the sample widget? Do those localized classes need to be uniquely namespaced in some way?

Thanks,
    Danny

I did some further checking - I needed to clean the devwidgets directory as there was a more vanilla version of the video tutorial in there, with a diffent folder name, but the same app id. It had the old text. It is good advice to all widgets developers to check on what else is in the widgets directory and clean it out if there are problems.
    I've made sure my deploy script has an option to clean itself back up afterwards, and a clean devwidgets target too.

Thanks,
    Danny

Recent Posts

in Getting Started / Beginners - Yahoo! TV Widgets