Install Issues on XP - Virtual Box Vagrant Ruby

I've followed the steps in the tutorial at http://www.yctvblog.com/blog/category/development/tutorial/ to install the widget development environment on Windows XP. I have to problems:

1) When I issue the vagrant up command from within my project directory (C:\documents and settings\pc\wdk) I get a series of Ruby error messages.

2) If I launch Virtual Box and start the Ubuntu session from there, I see the simulator come up with no problems but my /devwidgets directory is empty. How do I get my WDK contents (specifically the. deb file) to show in /devwidgets so I can unzip it in the terminal?

by
10 Replies
  • QUOTE (kjohn0128 @ May 21 2010, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I've followed the steps in the tutorial at http://www.yctvblog.com/blog/category/development/tutorial/ to install the widget development environment on Windows XP. I have to problems:

1) When I issue the vagrant up command from within my project directory (C:\documents and settings\pc\wdk) I get a series of Ruby error messages.

2) If I launch Virtual Box and start the Ubuntu session from there, I see the simulator come up with no problems but my /devwidgets directory is empty. How do I get my WDK contents (specifically the. deb file) to show in /devwidgets so I can unzip it in the terminal?

For issue #2: The /devwidgets directory is initially empty.

You can create your own widget in this directory or extract sample widgets to this directory as shown here:

http://developer.yahoo.com/connectedtv/qui...pment_Directory

To complete the "Hello Word" tutorial copy the BaseTemplate.widget provided in the support files:

http://h.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/ctv/wdk/supportfiles.zip

Hope this helps,
    Kelly
  • Do you issue the http:..... from inside the terminal window in Ubuntu or outside of virtual box altogether in Windows? I did this step already from within the project directory in windows but I'm not seeing the contents inside Ubuntu.
  • QUOTE (kjohn0128 @ May 21 2010, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Do you issue the http:..... from inside the terminal window in Ubuntu or outside of virtual box altogether in Windows? I did this step already from within the project directory in windows but I'm not seeing the contents inside Ubuntu.

Without running vagrant up, the directory doesn't get mapped over automatically. What are the errors you are seeing?

-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ May 22 2010, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Without running vagrant up, the directory doesn't get mapped over automatically. What are the errors you are seeing?

-Jeremy

When I issue the Vagrant Up command, I get the windows popup
    message: "ruby.exe - Unable to Locate Component" along with "This
    application has failed to start because msvcrt-ruby18.dll was not
    found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." Working
    from another post in the group, I reverted back to Vagrant gem version
    0.3.2 but no success.
  • QUOTE (kjohn0128 @ May 24 2010, 04:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    When I issue the Vagrant Up command, I get the windows popup
    message: "ruby.exe - Unable to Locate Component" along with "This
    application has failed to start because msvcrt-ruby18.dll was not
    found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." Working
    from another post in the group, I reverted back to Vagrant gem version
    0.3.2 but no success.

Sounds like your Ruby installation is broken. Can you try reinstalling Ruby?

-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ May 24 2010, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Sounds like your Ruby installation is broken. Can you try reinstalling Ruby?

-Jeremy

dont undersatnd what is going on here:
    supportfiles yahoo$ vagrant up
    /Users/yahoo/wdk/supportfiles/Vagrantfile:6: undefined method `project_directory=' for #<Vagrant::Config::VMConfig:0x1845494> (NoMethodError)
    from /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/vagrant-0.4.1/lib/vagrant/util/stacked_proc_runner.rb:30:in `call'
    from /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/vagrant-0.4.1/lib/vagrant/util/stacked_proc_runner.rb:30:in `run_procs!'
    from /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/vagrant-0.4.1/lib/vagrant/util/stacked_proc_runner.rb:29:in `each'
    from /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/vagrant-0.4.1/lib/vagrant/util/stacked_proc_runner.rb:29:in `run_procs!'
    from /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/vagrant-0.4.1/lib/vagrant/config.rb:35:in `execute!'
    from /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/vagrant-0.4.1/lib/vagrant/environment.rb:205:in `load_config!'
    from /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/vagrant-0.4.1/lib/vagrant/environment.rb:137:in `load!'
    from /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/vagrant-0.4.1/lib/vagrant/environment.rb:33:in `load!'
    from /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/vagrant-0.4.1/lib/vagrant/command.rb:12:in `execute'
    from /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/vagrant-0.4.1/bin/vagrant:7
    from /opt/local/bin/vagrant:19:in `load'
    from /opt/local/bin/vagrant:19
  • That's an easy one to fix. My apologies, but Vagrant changed their config file format between versions.

Change this line:

config.vm.project_directory = "/devwidgets"

To this:

config.vm.share_folder("devwidgets", "/devwidgets", ".")

-Jeremy
  • QUOTE (Jeremy Johnstone @ Jun 30 2010, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    That's an easy one to fix. My apologies, but Vagrant changed their config file format between versions.

Change this line:

config.vm.project_directory = "/devwidgets"

To this:

config.vm.share_folder("devwidgets", "/devwidgets", ".")

-Jeremy

I'm sorry Jeremy, but that's not helping me. There are so many config files and folders and I'm not understanding why I need to install 4 programs to run one. could you be a little more definitive as to WHERE I am going to find the file I need to edit? I am on OS X 10.6.4 and am quite frustrated.
  • QUOTE (bc @ Jun 30 2010, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I am on OS X 10.6.4 and am quite frustrated.

Cant edit posts here. well, I did find out what and where to edit the file and it worked. Thank you kindly Jeremy. However, during the 'vagrant up' I got this error. It didnt stop anything, but it kept bugging me later on about it too. not sure how to handle it.

[default] WARNING!
    No guest additions were detected on the base box for this VM! Guest
    additions are required for forwarded ports, shared folders, host only
    networking, and more. If SSH fails on this machine, please install
    the guest additions and repackage the box to continue.
  • QUOTE (bc @ Jun 30 2010, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Cant edit posts here. well, I did find out what and where to edit the file and it worked. Thank you kindly Jeremy. However, during the 'vagrant up' I got this error. It didnt stop anything, but it kept bugging me later on about it too. not sure how to handle it.

Please see the documentation here: http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#id2621615

Recent Posts

in Getting Started / Beginners - Yahoo! TV Widgets