How many different implementions of Media Player exist?

I'm aware of the KONtx.mediaplayer, however do other types of players exist in the Yahoo Widgets platform? 
For example the 'Web Videos' Widget that comes with my Vizio TV does not look like the KONtx.mediaplayer.  Is KONtx.mediaplayer the only player available?  I really want to be able to play more videos with different codecs,  some of my videos do not display by the audio track plays fine.

Thanks

Tek

by
3 Replies

• QUOTE (Tek @ 9 Jan 2012 2:19 PM) I'm aware of the KONtx.mediaplayer, however do other types of players exist in the Yahoo Widgets platform? 
    For example the 'Web Videos' Widget that comes with my Vizio TV does not look like the KONtx.mediaplayer.  Is KONtx.mediaplayer the only player available?  I really want to be able to play more videos with different codecs,  some of my videos do not display by the audio track plays fine.

Thanks

Tek The KONtx.mediaplayer is just an API layer that sits on top of the hardware mediaplayer that is on the TV.  Web Videos and Netflix , I believe, go to the hardware interface layer to provide a better interface but the limits you suffer from are due to the TV itself.  Check out the Importtant links sticky.  It has a link that tells you what type of encoding should work.  It might also be that the bitrate of your video file is too high for the TV to handle (ie video resolution too high)

mockware
  • That is what I thought....

Is Web Videos source code available to view somewhere?

Thanks

QUOTE (mockware @ 12 Jan 2012 5:12 AM)

QUOTE (Tek @ 9 Jan 2012 2:19 PM) I'm aware of the KONtx.mediaplayer, however do other types of players exist in the Yahoo Widgets platform? 

Thanks

Tek The KONtx.mediaplayer is just an API layer that sits on top of the hardware mediaplayer that is on the TV.  Web Videos and Netflix , I believe, go to the hardware interface layer to provide a better interface but the limits you suffer from are due to the TV itself.  Check out the Importtant links sticky.  It has a link that tells you what type of encoding should work.  It might also be that the bitrate of your video file is too high for the TV to handle (ie video resolution too high)

mockware
  • There is only one mediaplayer API i.e. KONtx.mediaplayer, and the actual media player in the hardware might have some quirks with some codecs depending on the TV manufacturer/model etc. Let me know what issues you are facing and we can help you out.

Thanks,
    Vivek

Recent Posts

in Getting Started / Beginners - Yahoo! TV Widgets