inconsistent woeId (sometimes classified as town and sometimes as suburb)

hi,

I was testing out the new Yahoo placemaker (which is awesome btw!) in conjuction with GeoPlanet API.
For the following address I would like to fetch the name and woeId of the town the address is in. However, I can't get consistent results (The entity with woeid=746086 is either considered a suburb or a town depending on the flow I'm using to get the result).
Im wondering if this is a sporadic error in the dataset or that there is some underlying logic that I'm missing?

to reproduce:

I have the address:Praia+Nossa+Senhora+da+Rocha+Porches+Algarve+PT-8400-450+portugal
which consists of a partial street name, suburb (Porches), province (Algarve), postalcode and country.
The format of this address and others that I need to parse are horribly inconsistent so I'm thrilled that placemaker is doing a gret job distilling the info to:

<woeId>23424925</woeId>
<type>Country</type>
<name><![CDATA[Portugal]]></name>
<woeId>26180815</woeId>
<type>Zip</type>
<name><![CDATA[8400 - 450, Porches, Faro, PT]]></name>

in other words a Zip is found, but at a parent level only the country is shown (not the town and / or province) .
using geoplanet to look up the parent (http://where.yahooapis.com/v1/place/26180815/...) gives:

<locality1 type="Town">Lagoa</locality1>
<locality2 type="Suburb">Porches</locality2>
<postal type="Postal Code">8400 - 450</postal>

indicating the Town Lagoa and the subsurb Porches.

To verify I checked the above address but without the postal code in placeMaker:
Praia+Nossa+Senhora+da+Rocha+Porches+Algarve+portugal, giving:

<woeId>746086</woeId>
<type>Town</type>
<name><![CDATA[Porches, Faro, PT]]></name>

indicating that instead of Lagoa, Porches is considered the town --> inconsistency

verifying using geoplanet Parent-service, gives:
<country type="Country" code="PT">Portugal</country>
<admin1 type="State" code="PT-08">Faro</admin1>
<admin2 type="County" code="">Lagoa</admin2>
<admin3/>
<locality1 type="Town">Porches</locality1>
<locality2/>
<postal type="Postal Code">8400</postal>

confirming that Porches is considered a town in this case.

I'm aware that classifying municipalities, civil parishes and similar entities used over the world are impossible to classify 100% correctly as either a town or a suburb but shouldn't both cases at least produce the same result for Porches? Thus either is should be considered a Town or a suburb but not both depending on the path traversed to get to the result?

Im wondering if this is a sporadic error in the dataset or that there is some underlying logic that I'm missing?

thanks in advance,
Britske

1 Reply
  • The response returned for WOEID 26180815 is incorrect. Porches should be returned in the locality1 element as it is for WOEID 746086. This will be corrected in the next update to our production environment (expected later this month).

Regarding the separate placeDetails results from Placemaker, this looks like a bug. Placemaker should return just one placeDetail for the postal code. I will investigate further.

Eddie Babcock
    Yahoo! Geo Technologies

QUOTE (gbrits27 @ May 25 2009, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    hi,

I was testing out the new Yahoo placemaker (which is awesome btw!) in conjuction with GeoPlanet API.
    For the following address I would like to fetch the name and woeId of the town the address is in. However, I can't get consistent results (The entity with woeid=746086 is either considered a suburb or a town depending on the flow I'm using to get the result).

thanks in advance,
    Britske
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in GeoPlanet General Discussion