Wikpedia -- WOEID Concordance

Does anyone know of a concordance for Wikipedia articles & WOEID's?
Is anyone working on this?

What I need is to get the WOEID of a particular article -- in cases where the article is about a place -- not just WOEID's for places that happen to be mentioned in the article.

by
3 Replies
  • QUOTE (LiamK @ May 11 2010, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Does anyone know of a concordance for Wikipedia articles & WOEID's?
    Is anyone working on this?

What I need is to get the WOEID of a particular article -- in cases where the article is about a place -- not just WOEID's for places that happen to be mentioned in the article.

We are working on a Concordance between WOEIDs and Wikipedia English Article IDs. These IDs may be used to retrieve articles without knowing the exact title of the article. Here is an example:

WOEID 44418 <--> Article ID 17867 <--> London, UK

You can retrieve the Wikipedia article for the above place with the following request:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=17867

The Article ID is included in the HTML document containing the article but is not visible (hint: look for the wgArticleId variable assignment in the embedded JavaScript code).

Stay tuned!

Eddie Babcock
    Yahoo! Geo Technologies
  • QUOTE (Eddie B @ May 11 2010, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    We are working on a Concordance between WOEIDs and Wikipedia English Article IDs. These IDs may be used to retrieve articles without knowing the exact title of the article. Here is an example:

WOEID 44418 <--> Article ID 17867 <--> London, UK

You can retrieve the Wikipedia article for the above place with the following request:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=17867

The Article ID is included in the HTML document containing the article but is not visible (hint: look for the wgArticleId variable assignment in the embedded JavaScript code).

Stay tuned!

Eddie Babcock
    Yahoo! Geo Technologies

Well, that's great news! I'm happy to hear you are doing it.
    (We actually have to go the other way, mapping Wikipedia articles to WOEID's.)
    Any estimate of when that might be complete? What's the best way for me to stay informed of developments?
  • QUOTE (LiamK @ May 11 2010, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well, that's great news! I'm happy to hear you are doing it.
    (We actually have to go the other way, mapping Wikipedia articles to WOEID's.)
    Any estimate of when that might be complete? What's the best way for me to stay informed of developments?

The concordance will work both ways: WOEID->Article ID and Article ID->WOEID. Only place related articles will be included in the concordance (and probably not all of them initially as it will still be in Beta).

GeoPlanet updates are announced in the GeoPlanet Product Announcement Forum and on the Yahoo! Geo Technologies Blog. While we normally do not preannounce updates, you should not have to wait very long for the next update.

Eddie Babcock
    Yahoo! Geo Technologies
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in GeoPlanet General Discussion