Reverse looking up long and lat

Lets say I have a given longitude and latitude is there a way I can get a Zip code or State from that

6 Replies
  • QUOTE (Hyper @ Aug 19 2008, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Lets say I have a given longitude and latitude is there a way I can get a Zip code or State from that

Hi there. The ability to map a set of longitude and latitude coordinates to a WOEID, from which information such as ZIP and State may be derived, has already been identified as a valuable feature and it is on our enhancement request list. We will post announcements to the GeoPlanet Forums on new releases and the features and enhancements that these releases contain.
  • QUOTE (Vicchi @ Aug 22 2008, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi there. The ability to map a set of longitude and latitude coordinates to a WOEID, from which information such as ZIP and State may be derived, has already been identified as a valuable feature and it is on our enhancement request list. We will post announcements to the GeoPlanet Forums on new releases and the features and enhancements that these releases contain.

*bump* This would still be a great feature. 5 months later, has there been any progress/interest in this?
  • If anyone is looking for this service, I ended up writing my own and not waiting for Yahoo!
    You can check out the PHP-powered solution here - http://geo2city.jobdig.com/
    Source code is available via that website.

Enjoy!
  • You could also download the free zip5 database from iBegin and create your own table to lookup against.
  • Registering my interest in this feature. Flickr has a method: flickr.places.findByLatLon which returns a WOEID, but they truncate coordinates to three decimal places, which doesn't work for my particular app :(
  • You can use Placemaker to geocode microformats. See this blog post:
    http://geomojo.org/?p=38
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in GeoPlanet General Discussion