GeoPlanet concordance API

hi,
I've been testing the GeoPlanet concordance API to get the following:
1- IATA codes for the places of type 'airport' by providing their corresponding WOE-IDs
2- GeoName Ids for the places of type 'poi' by providing their corresponding WOE-IDs

So far the results are quite poor. Out of around 360,000 POI places present in the geo-planet data (latest version), the API only found about 60,000 corresponding GeoName IDs. Results for the IATA codes query were pretty bad as well as it failed to find IATA codes for a lot of aiports.

I know the API is in beta but was just wondering whether GeoPlanet team is already aware of this issue. And also is there any fix for it in the pipeline?

Thanks
Hameed

by
  • H
  • May 11, 2010
1 Reply
  • QUOTE (H @ May 11 2010, 03:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    hi,
    I've been testing the GeoPlanet concordance API to get the following:
    1- IATA codes for the places of type 'airport' by providing their corresponding WOE-IDs
    2- GeoName Ids for the places of type 'poi' by providing their corresponding WOE-IDs

So far the results are quite poor. Out of around 360,000 POI places present in the geo-planet data (latest version), the API only found about 60,000 corresponding GeoName IDs. Results for the IATA codes query were pretty bad as well as it failed to find IATA codes for a lot of aiports.

I know the API is in beta but was just wondering whether GeoPlanet team is already aware of this issue. And also is there any fix for it in the pipeline?

Thanks
    Hameed

Thanks for your feedback. We are working to improve GeoPlanet Concordance with new namespaces and expanded coverage for existing namespaces. The beta release of the geonames namespace mainly covers populated places. We will add more places to the concordance, including POIs, as we match them to the GeoNames data set.

I'm not sure how many airports you expect to have IATA codes. GeoPlanet Data includes 16,000 airports and 6,700 of these have IATA codes. The other airports are not assigned codes by the IATA.

Eddie Babcock
    Yahoo! Geo Technologies
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in GeoPlanet General Discussion