API Limits on Client/Server Side Calls

Hi,

I'd like to use the GeoPlanet API from my PHP code (server side) but having read the threads on this forum I'm concerned that this might not be viable due to the rate capping that would apply to the servers IP address.

As an alternative I could make the API calls client side from the visitors IP address using Javascript/AJAX. However before I invest time in this I'd like to confirm that:

1. The rate cap is IP based and doing the API calls client side would mean that the users IP address might get rate capped but even if this happens my appid wouldn't be effected and other visitors on different IP addresses could continue to use the service.

2. What are the dangers of making my appid public by including it in the javascript code.

Cheers,
Dave

by
1 Reply
  • The GeoPlanet Web Service is rate limited to prevent commercial use and abuse. As you pointed out, the rate limiting is based on APPID and IP Address, so using GeoPlanet in a client-side application is less likely to be limited than using GeoPlanet in a server-side application. Only the combination of APPID and IP Address will be limited, so users on one IP address will not be affected by users on other IP addresses.

Making your APPID visible in a client-side application leaves open the possibility of another developer using your APPID to call Yahoo! Web Services. This could result in unexpected rate limiting, but not much else. If you are concerned about this, do not make your APPID visible.

Eddie Babcock
    Yahoo! Geo Technologies

QUOTE (Basher @ Oct 2 2009, 03:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hi,

I'd like to use the GeoPlanet API from my PHP code (server side) but having read the threads on this forum I'm concerned that this might not be viable due to the rate capping that would apply to the servers IP address.

As an alternative I could make the API calls client side from the visitors IP address using Javascript/AJAX. However before I invest time in this I'd like to confirm that:

1. The rate cap is IP based and doing the API calls client side would mean that the users IP address might get rate capped but even if this happens my appid wouldn't be effected and other visitors on different IP addresses could continue to use the service.

2. What are the dangers of making my appid public by including it in the javascript code.

Cheers,
    Dave
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in GeoPlanet General Discussion