belongtos data? geometries?

Are there any plans to release the belongsto data? For example, in the places file, "Dallas, TX" has the parent "Dallas County". But "Dallas, TX" is in 5 counties. I'm hoping the belongsto data would include this.

Also are there any plans to release geographies with all/some of the data? Or even a file mapping WOE IDs to FIPS codes so I can match WOE IDs to census data?

by
2 Replies
  • There are currently no plans to release the belongsto data. You will need to access this information via the GeoPlanet Web Service. The belongtos relation includes all places that fully or mostly contain a place. Dallas is mostly in Dallas County, which is the only county in the belongto list. The other counties (Collin, Denton, Kaufman, and Rockwall) containing parts of Dallas are not associated with Dallas within GeoPlanet.

Mapping WOEIDS to ids in other namespaces (such as FIPS) is on our wish list, but we haven't set a date for including it in GeoPlanet. Are there other namespaces that would be useful?

Eddie Babcock
    Yahoo! Geo Technologies

QUOTE (dheldermixer @ Oct 16 2009, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Are there any plans to release the belongsto data? For example, in the places file, "Dallas, TX" has the parent "Dallas County". But "Dallas, TX" is in 5 counties. I'm hoping the belongsto data would include this.

Also are there any plans to release geographies with all/some of the data? Or even a file mapping WOE IDs to FIPS codes so I can match WOE IDs to census data?
  • ISO 3361-2 codes would be a good start. HASC codes might help too. We're trying to match up WOE IDs with entities in our database.
This forum is locked.

Recent Posts

in GeoPlanet Enhancement Requests